Need help with wheels and tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with wheels and tires

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 05-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
mantonas
2003 WJ 

Need help with wheels and tires

OK, I'm trying to help my son buy one additional rim and five new tires for his YJ. He has four 15" Cragar "D" window steel wheels on the car. I have no idea what the width and back spacing of his rims are. The current tires are 31x10.5 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As. He wants to put 32" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires on them. The only 32s we can find are 32x11.5s. I have several questions:

1. How do I measure the width and back spacing of his current rims? Is there a diagram on-line anywhere? Do the tires have to be off the rims to properly measure them?

2. Given that he currently has 31 x 10.5s on the car, are we safe to go ahead and buy 32 x 11.5s before measuring the rims? If it turns out that the best way to measure the rims is with the tire off, then we can measure them while we get the old tires removed and the new ones installed.

This is driving me crazy. A model number or something punched into the rim on the backside would have been a really thoughtful gesture on the part of Cragar!

mantonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
CB10101
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You could put rulers along the inside and outside edges of the rim and use a tape mesure thru one of the d's. They are probably 8" wide.
For backspacing, measure from rear edge of rim to the rear of the center hub.

You probably won't find a big name tire shop that will mount them for you, claiming liability of losing a bead seal. Gas stations will do it though.
CB10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Tons and tons of people runs 35-12.50-15's on 8" wide rims all day long. You are more then ok. To measure the width do what he said. ^^^ Go to Firestone and they will mount anything. Discount may or may not. I run a 33-11.50-16(roughly) on a stock 7.5" rim on my 3/4 ton truck and have had NO problems at all and I am extremely rough on that truck.
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.