Need Help - Transmission/Transfer Case leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Help - Transmission/Transfer Case leaking

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Meisenslimer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Need Help - Transmission/Transfer Case leaking

I found a leak where the transmission meets the transfer case. Steady drip every 3-5 seconds.

Daily driver - 1992 YJ 4.0 Fuel Injected I6.

TF999 Automatic Transmission and NP231 Transfer case.

I pulled the transfer case thinking it was a seal that had gone bad. Replaced the rear seal on the transmission and all the seals on the transfer case. When I installed the TC everything was fine until I lowered the jack holding up the rear of the TC. Immediately, the exact same spot began to leak again. Almost as if the damn thing waited until I tightened the last bolt.

It's ATF leaking, reddish brown in color. The transfer case is empty of fluids, I haven't refilled. Anyone have any idea what this could be. Besides the leak, there are no symptoms of anything being wrong. If it wasn't for the puddle in the driveway, I might not have noticed until the fluid was low.

Meisenslimer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Any chance you boogered up the new seal? Is the seal installed in the correct direction? If everything checks out, after you have disassembled and verified that the seal is in correctly and not damaged, clean and check for cracks in the area of the tailshaft. It would be wise to decrease and clean the area prior to disassembly. There is a small weep hole in the bottom of the tail shaft housing of the trans. This is to alert you that the output shaft seal is in need of replacement. Check to see if it is leaking out of this hole.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I put RTV between the t-case and tranny after new seals.........no more drips.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Meisenslimer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to pull the transfer case again and check the rear seal. I'm assuming that the leak is on the transmission side because the TC has no fluids in it.

It's a very slow steady drip from the union of the TC and Transmission.

When I pulled the TC originally, there was fluid leaking from the rear of the transmission where the seal sits. I pulled the seal, it continued to pour out for another couple minutes eventually slowing to a drip. I then replaced the seal on the transmission and the TC. The transmission stopped dripping fluid until I installed the TC back in place. The second the union was made between the two, the fluid started dripping again from the same location, the union of the transmission and TC.

Will using some RTV fix the problem? Is this a sign of a bigger transmission problem?

I haven't had any known issues involving the driving of the jeep. Just noticed the puddle in the driveway that slowly got bigger. Probably dripped a quart total over 3 to 4 days.
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Meisenslimer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled the Tcase again. Replaced the seal and added some RTV to union of the Transmission and Tcase.

Still leaking.

Drained the transmission of fluid and the leak stopped. Slowly refilled the ATF until full. The leak is now fixed. Must have busted the seal during installation.

Trying to get shift rod reattached to the Tcase. Having a hell of a time trying to remove the bushing. Any advice?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.