Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need Help - Transmission/Transfer Case leaking

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Meisenslimer 
#1 ·
I found a leak where the transmission meets the transfer case. Steady drip every 3-5 seconds.

Daily driver - 1992 YJ 4.0 Fuel Injected I6.

TF999 Automatic Transmission and NP231 Transfer case.

I pulled the transfer case thinking it was a seal that had gone bad. Replaced the rear seal on the transmission and all the seals on the transfer case. When I installed the TC everything was fine until I lowered the jack holding up the rear of the TC. Immediately, the exact same spot began to leak again. Almost as if the damn thing waited until I tightened the last bolt.

It's ATF leaking, reddish brown in color. The transfer case is empty of fluids, I haven't refilled. Anyone have any idea what this could be. Besides the leak, there are no symptoms of anything being wrong. If it wasn't for the puddle in the driveway, I might not have noticed until the fluid was low.

#2 ·
Any chance you boogered up the new seal? Is the seal installed in the correct direction? If everything checks out, after you have disassembled and verified that the seal is in correctly and not damaged, clean and check for cracks in the area of the tailshaft. It would be wise to decrease and clean the area prior to disassembly. There is a small weep hole in the bottom of the tail shaft housing of the trans. This is to alert you that the output shaft seal is in need of replacement. Check to see if it is leaking out of this hole.

#4 ·
I'm going to pull the transfer case again and check the rear seal. I'm assuming that the leak is on the transmission side because the TC has no fluids in it.

It's a very slow steady drip from the union of the TC and Transmission.

When I pulled the TC originally, there was fluid leaking from the rear of the transmission where the seal sits. I pulled the seal, it continued to pour out for another couple minutes eventually slowing to a drip. I then replaced the seal on the transmission and the TC. The transmission stopped dripping fluid until I installed the TC back in place. The second the union was made between the two, the fluid started dripping again from the same location, the union of the transmission and TC.

Will using some RTV fix the problem? Is this a sign of a bigger transmission problem?

I haven't had any known issues involving the driving of the jeep. Just noticed the puddle in the driveway that slowly got bigger. Probably dripped a quart total over 3 to 4 days.

#5 ·
I pulled the Tcase again. Replaced the seal and added some RTV to union of the Transmission and Tcase.

Still leaking.

Drained the transmission of fluid and the leak stopped. Slowly refilled the ATF until full. The leak is now fixed. Must have busted the seal during installation.

Trying to get shift rod reattached to the Tcase. Having a hell of a time trying to remove the bushing. Any advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.