Need help with transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with transmission

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-22-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
longdecember

Need help with transmission

Hey I need some help deciding what to do about my tranmission. I have a 1995 Yj with an ax-5. The transmission has been grinding for a while and just last week it got stuck in second and will not come out, just suddenly. No warning. The problem is i don't know wether to rebuild my ax-5, find a used ax-5 which might have the same problems or do the ax-15 swap which would be used and would cost alot. Here in canada, winnipeg actaully i am having huge trouble finding either a ax-5 or ax-15 for under $900. For that much i could easily have my ax-5 rebuilt. I need advice about wether I should rebuild my ax-5 or step up to the ax-15 with external slave. I would be intrested if someone had one for sale.

longdecember is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ax5

In my experience, parts for the AX transmissions are very expensive. If there is anything wrong that requires a lot of replacement parts, watch out. I am also NOT surprised at the junkyard prices. If it were me, and I couldn't afford a new one, I would go with the junkyard.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my AX-15 off of e-bay from www.mantrans.com . I paid $700.00 for it with free shipping. There was a $300.00 core charge that I got back after they got my old trans. I've had the trans since oct. and put about 6 to 8 thousand miles on it with no problems. Mantrans prices were alot better on e-bay vs what
i was quoted on the phone.

Neill
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
longdecember

I have heard from places that a rebuilt trans is not even close to having the longevity of a non-rebuilt. what is the expected km's out of a rebuilt. If i am going this route i might just stick with my ax-5 and not swap to the ax-15. 1992 renegade you did the swap right was it hard? thanks
Unread 01-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
longdecember

bump to the top
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
wranglerkid16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992 renagade
I bought my AX-15 off of e-bay from www.mantrans.com . I paid $700.00 for it with free shipping. There was a $300.00 core charge that I got back after they got my old trans. I've had the trans since oct. and put about 6 to 8 thousand miles on it with no problems. Mantrans prices were alot better on e-bay vs what
i was quoted on the phone.

Neill

i have an ax-15 from them as well, very good company, cheap too, 695 for the tranny, 81 for shipping the core back...well worth the money...ask for bob
wranglerkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:20 AM   #7
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdecember
I have heard from places that a rebuilt trans is not even close to having the longevity of a non-rebuilt. what is the expected km's out of a rebuilt. If i am going this route i might just stick with my ax-5 and not swap to the ax-15. 1992 renegade you did the swap right was it hard? thanks
No my jeep had a AX-15 in it from the factory.

Neill
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
longdecember

how many km's can i expect out of a rebuilt ax-5?
Unread 01-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
Stang5lgt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
how many km's can i expect out of a rebuilt ax-5?
Depends on how hard you drive. But with normal drive you should be able to get 100k miles out of it no prob. Sound like your syncros are were going out and finally did. Shouldn't be too bad for a rebuild. Find a place that has done a few before you let them touch yours.
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
longdecember

thank you stang that is an answer i was looking for i didnt really want to hear any horror stories to tell you the truth, what do you think i should do, buy a rebuild kit and give it to the tranny shop or just get them to order it and do it also.
Unread 01-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #11
Stang5lgt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thank you stang that is an answer i was looking for i didnt really want to hear any horror stories to tell you the truth, what do you think i should do, buy a rebuild kit and give it to the tranny shop or just get them to order it and do it also.
I would ask them they might be able to get you a deal on one. Get a price for one before you go that way you know if they are trying to rip you or not. If they are only a few bucks more then I would go for it. Cause figure the time for you run around and find one plus they might not stand behind a rebuild kit you didn't buy from them. Those are the things you need to think about when saving a few a bucks.
Unread 01-23-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
STP743
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My synco gears went on my AX-5 out of my 95 so I swaped it for a used tranny, out of a 89 I think.
Last weekend my friend did the same, AX-5 was toast, so we swaped it for an older one.

I got mine for 200 CAD within 2 hour drive (including a transfer case and rear driveshaft) 200 000 KM
He got his for 250 CAD within 2 hour drive (just the tranny) 150 000 KM

I have no evidence to back up this comment but I'll throw it out there. The AX-5 tranny changed to an external clutch in (early 90's say 92ish) I seem to hear alot about the post 92ish trannys all failing, and not the earlier ones.

Good luck

on 33s
STP743 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #13
longdecember

hey thanks alot, stp743 where exactly in canada are you? im in winnipeg and cant find one for the life of me that isnt 900 dollars.
Unread 01-24-2006, 10:38 PM   #14
STP743
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
hey thanks alot, stp743 where exactly in canada are you? im in winnipeg and cant find one for the life of me that isnt 900 dollars.

I'm in London ON (half way between Toronto and Detroit) and most of my used parts come from the Toronto area. There is a site www.jeepkings.ca based in Southern Ontario with frequent Jeeps being parted out, no dealerships, or scrap yards, just Jeep guys/girls helping each other.

on 33s
STP743 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.