Need help with swaybar angle after disco's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with swaybar angle after disco's

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
rgs112
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Need help with swaybar angle after disco's

I bought a set of adjustable quick disconnects so I can reattach my front swaybar. When I bought the jeep, the PO had about 5-6" of lift installed and the SB was disconnected and wired up.

So, at what angle should I set the SB for optimum on-road handling? Should It be parallel with the chassis?

Unread 10-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You do not want it pointing up and away from the road because that could potentially lead to binding problems if you kept the sway bar attached during high flex situations. Mine points maybe 5 to 10 degrees downward.

I would think you want it pointed down ONLY as much as is needed so under full flex with the swaybar attached it does not bind.

My 2 Cents
Jim
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.

Last edited by Jim93YJ; 10-10-2008 at 09:47 AM..
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
rgs112
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jim. I always disconnect off-road and I don't need to worry about high-flex situations on the road.

So, level or 5-10* negative? Any other input?
Unread 10-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Jim93YJ

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs112 View Post
Thanks Jim. I always disconnect off-road and I don't need to worry about high-flex situations on the road.

So, level or 5-10* negative? Any other input?
Looking a little more closely I would say it is no more than 5 degrees negative. That is pretty much with the stock setup. The swaybar will do its job no matter what angle it is at....i.e. it is there to keep the body from rolling. The only concern is the travel of the sway bar during full flex and full droop. As a result the best middle ground seems to be right about the middle....i.e. slightly negative to parallel...at least on my rig but if your is pretty much stock it would probably be the same for you too.

My recommmendation is 3 to 5 degrees negative to give you the most travel in both directions. Can always test flex with it attached to confirm.
93YJ 4.8L Vortec,AX15,Atlas 4.3:1, 4.56 Gears, Dana 30 w/ Posi-lok,Dana 44 Rear w/ Ox Locker + 99 Explorer Disk Brakes,Tom Woods D. Shafts,1" Body, 2.5" ED RE Lift, 33" BFG KM2 T/A's with MT Classic II Wheels, Herculined Inside, Electric Fan, 20 Gal Tank Conversion,Tuffy Center Console,Warn Front Bumper, Rockhard 4X4 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier,Bushwacker Extended Flat Fender Flares,AMSoil/Redline In Everything and the List Goes On....

AND...

88YJ 4.2L: Interior and mechanical overhaul including engine replacement, nutter bypass, Weber 34 Carb, and work on a whole bunch of other things to get it back to fine running condition without the emissions control...evap cannister kept functional as well as PCV system, and manifold heater.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.