Need help with spider gear ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with spider gear ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
brockj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Need help with spider gear ??

the jeep is at the mechanics now on the hoist. the jeep is a 91 yj 4.0 with 3.07 gears. i bought a set of 4.10's and carriers off someone on jf and we are having them installed. the new gears did not come with spider gears. they are factory gears out of a 4cy. yj. problem is i dont know what year. the spider gears from my 91 i am trying to use in the new carrier are too big of a diameter to seat into the carrier......what do i need, a new carrier or new spider gears? would a carrier with abs ( if the donor jeep was 93 or newer) be a smaller diameter for the spider gears? please help!!!!!

brockj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Jeepguy83

The carrier is the only one that will fit 4.10 gears so you'll need spider gears if you opted to keep the Dana 35 in the rear (cheaper to do an 8.8 swap) and either spider gears or a lunchbox up front. Your call.

The carrier changes size and you need corresponding sizes with the spider gears.
Jeepguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
brockj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

just checked east coast gear supply and they have two different sets, 94 and older and 94 and newer.....one is a 1.625 bore diameter and the other is a 1.560 bore diameter. the spider gears i have are a 1.625 bore diameter so i can only assume i need the 1.560. i will still take any input, thanks
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Jeepguy83

Forgot about the change. Sorry. Midway through '93 the Dana 35 got a change and they swapped from the 1310 to the 1330 yokes as well. It's been so long as I've seen a Dana 35 intact I forgot about it. You can pull from a Cherokee if need be as they're probably the most plentiful.
Jeepguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
brockj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

will my axle shafts still fit in the smaller bore diameter spider gears?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.