Need help replacing winch solenoids - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help replacing winch solenoids

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
heefageLA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need help replacing winch solenoids

Im replacing the solenoids in my old M8000 to DB Electricals solenoids. Link below
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-3579-4...6-smr6005.aspx

Im having trouble because my old solenoids are side post and these are top post. Also, the small posts have S and I written beside them. No idea what those letters mean. My dad thinks it means Start and Ignition... Why would an elctric winch need Ignition?

If any of you fellas have experience replacing winch solenoids, help me out.
thanks

heefageLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you go to Google and enter 'what do S and I mean on a solenoid, you will find a plethora of answers. S typically means the start switch, in your case it will go to either the wind or unwind switch. The "I" should be a heavy lead and goes either to the battery or winch.
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
heefageLA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, im sure when i sit down and really put my mind to it i can figure it out.
I just dont want to 'wing it' and end up ruining four brand new solenoids.

heres how the winch is wired as of now.
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...r:48,s:0,i:236

Heres the diagram that came from DB Electrical.
http://www.dbelectrical.com/popup.as...g%26size=large

Its all a bit unclear and will take some guess work to figure it out.
Unread 02-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's super clear.
Here is another perspective

The main difference that might confuse you is that the old round solenoids were most likely body grounded, where the top post solenoids are most likely post grounded. The small 'S' post is the switch input, the OTHER small post is the ground.

I was able to re-use my copper connecting plates when I converted the 8274 to top posts. had to drill a new hole in two of them and trim the extra, but that was easy, copper is soft.

The rest of the wiring on these is identical to any 4 solenoid setup. The only difference is that you have to ground each one with the small posts or the switch (S) circuit will not work.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
heefageLA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet. This is the diagram im lookin for. Now that im this far my nest question is, what to do about my control box only being three wires?
I see five going to the control box in this schematic.
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What is the make and part number solenoid you purchased?
Do you have the diagram of the new solenoid?
Did you get the solenoids from Warn or a company that sells replacement solenoids for your M8000?

Most solenoids are faily simple.
The 2 small terminals provide the voltage to the coil inside and generally doesn't matter which of the small wires you connect to the two small termials.
Same generally goes for the two larger terminals.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
heefageLA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the solenoids I purchased. A diagram for them also shows five wires coming from the control box.
If possible i would really like to keep a three wire system. Its much easier to repair knowing you only need a three way toggle switch. On-Off-On. Instead of five. I dont even know why you need five wires...

@imstillatwork
Back to your diagram. The top left green wire will connect to the bottom right green wire, and the bottom left black wire will connect to the top right black wire correct? Then, all the brown wires in the middle will have a common ground?
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heefageLA View Post
Here is the solenoids I purchased. A diagram for them also shows five wires coming from the control box.
If possible i would really like to keep a three wire system. Its much easier to repair knowing you only need a three way toggle switch. On-Off-On. Instead of five. I dont even know why you need five wires...
OK, I looked at the solenoids you bought.
You can keep your 3 wire system.
Just hook up the replacement solenoids the same way your original ones were wired.
It doesn't matter which small terminals you hook the small wire to. Same with the large terminals.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
heefageLA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, cool. I have the housing all apart and now found out I need a bigger plate to mount the new solenoids to. Im about to dig around the house and see if i cant come up with something.
Its making alot more sense now that i have my hands on everything. Hopefuly by the end of the day I cant test 'er out.
I will put all my 'S's facing outward and put all my 'I's facing inward.
top left 'S' connected to bottom right 'S' and top right connected to bottom left.
then all inward 'I's connected and grounded
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
heefageLA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just got everything wired back up and nothing happend. I have 12v going to the bottom left big post and 12v going to my control box. The next thing im going to try is connect all inner small posts to a common ground. Hopefuly that will get me back going.
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)

Last edited by Mark05059; 02-17-2013 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: bad info
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
heefageLA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

SHAAZAM! Im back up and running. Of course, now that i know everything works right Ill have to dress up my wires and make everything fit right.
Thanks for all yalls input and for helping me out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.