Need help removing switch cover in YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help removing switch cover in YJ

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Shad2U

Need help removing switch cover in YJ

Hello, New member here. Hoping one of you veterans can lend a hand. I am attempting to replace the wiper switch in my 89 YJ. I have removed the steering wheel, Turn signal switch, ignition lock cylinder, key warning buzzer switch, the actuating lever and the four screws securing the housing assembly. The Chilton manual then says to "remove the switch cover", but are they referring to the whole cover, or where it splits? If I try to remove the whole cover, it feels like it is hung on something, and if I try to pry the two plastic pieces apart it feels like it will snap (fractured a piece already). If you can, please tell me which piece they are referring to and what's the best way to do it. I must be missing something. Thank you.

Shad2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Shad2U

I'm trying to post a pic, hope this works
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
eboyum

did you ever figure this out? I am in the same spot you were and don't where to go from here, except removing the whole column!!
eboyum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Shad2U

Yes, I had to remove the whole column. Once you have the column out, there are 3 screws holding the covers in place. You will find them once you turn the column over. Putting the column back together is a bit tricky without a magnetized screw driver because the fit is tight and I kept losing the screws. I had to tape the screws to the screw driver to keep from knocking them off repeatedly. Removing the column is not hard and actually makes it a bit easier to work on the column from a work bench. I took photos when I completed mine. I'll try and upload later.
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is how I did mine...... http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2009/jeep-steering/
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.