Need help regarding low pressure on clutch pedal! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
thefunkbassist
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Need help regarding low pressure on clutch pedal!

Hello there, I have a 1991 2.5L 5spd YJ and recently, I have been having problems with my clutch pedal pressure being very low and eventually not being able to disengage the clutch and not allowing me to change gear. I tracked it to a leaking master cylinder and replaced it, everything was fine for about 3 weeks but then, just yesterday, I noticed the same thing was happening and I was unable to disengage the clutch, I checked the master cylinder and everything was full, there was no leak so I bled the clutch out using the little bleeder valve under the passenger side. That sorta fixed it, but I still had a bit of resistance when shifting so I decided to bleed it out again and now there is absolutely no pressure in the pedal. There are no leaks, the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and clutch are brand spanking new. Am I bleeding it wrongs or what can I do to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2016, 06:26 PM
jimmyjamster
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Could be you got a bad master cylinder. I just went thru that myself, the second one worked. Hard to find parts that aren't cheaply made overseas.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-2016, 11:45 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A couple possibilities:

1.) you did not properly bench bleed the master cylinder before installation. Hope for this. Watch some clutch master cylinder bench bleed videos on youtube.

2.) you did not properly bleed the assembled system. If it was your first time, this is very possible. Read about all the methods and tricks, then try again.

3.) your slave cylinder went out. By councidence of age and wear, or because the new stronger master cylinder overwelmed it.

4.) it is possible that your new master is bad. NOS parts can have rubber that is 25 years old... Rubber lasts for 8 years.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-26-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
thefunkbassist
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished installing a new clutch master cylinder and it is doing the same thing even after trying various bleeding methods. I am about to throw in the towel and just take it to a shop
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Jeepsr4me

The slave is a pain in *** to bleed... It also could be bad.... they have been known to go bad out of the box..
Its why I hate them.. rather just swap to the external slave and be done with that

Tags
clutch , master cylinder , no pressure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.