Need help with a redneck repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with a redneck repair

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Newfie_Jeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Need help with a redneck repair

Hello Folks,

I need some help with the clutch on my YJ.

I just built my 88 YJ this past winter. I have a 305 carbed SBC and a 4 speed SM465 tranny. When the previous owner did the motor swap, he did it all wrong. I reinstalled it correctly with better placement, and new Advanced adapters motor and tranny mounts, and works well.

When I installed the clutch master cylinder through the firewall to the pedle, I noticed that he had welded on an extension to the shaft that pushes in an out. Looked pretty redneck. Instead, i installed another stock master cylinder of the same year, but once bled, the clutch did not have enough throw to disengage the gears. I swapped out the m cylinder for the one with the homemade extension, and it worked perfectly. I now understand why he did it.

The problem is, the peddle sits about 4 inches higher from the floor then the gas and brake, and I can barely get my leg high enough with the wheel tilted all the way up.
How can I fix this?I want the peddle at the stock height. Perhaps a aftermarket master cylinder with more volume per stroke, or even a swapped unit from another vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

Newfie

Newfie_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

perhaps by re-shaping the pedal itself, if that's possible. It's hard to picture what you're speaking about without a pic.
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Fernando
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think I understand what you mean because I have seen clutch pumps with welded extensions before, in my opinion that's a pretty crappy way to deal with the problem... Maybe you can use a clutch pump from the donor vehicle of your transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't done alot of research on this issue so take this idea with a grain of salt as it may sound redneck too. If it were me in this situation I would disconnect the pedal from the mounting bracket and slide the pedal(still connected to the push rod) forward at the top til it drew the pedal back to just above the brake pedal and redrill my holes. Then disconnect the rod from the pedal and bring it down lower on the pedal to reach the firewall for full push and redrill it there. if you don't lower the rod on the pedal it will start pushing the rod up instead of in and defeat the purpose. That should bring the pedal down and still give you full throw of the rod for disengagement.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

My 89 has a similar setup (5.0L - NP435) and the stock clutch master cylinder does not have enough volume to disengage the clutch.

You will probably have to use another clutch master cylinder from a truck and make it fit.

You need something with a larger bore for more fluid displacement.
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
RookieJeeper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar issue with my 87yj. I swapped master cylinder and ax15 from a Cherokee and my pedal was way high until I swapped back to a yj master cylinder.
RookieJeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Newfie_Jeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I like UABYJ94's idea, but Im not sure it will work. I will have a closer look tomorrow.

Any Ideas on a donor vehicle for a larger volume master cylinder? Can I buy a performance M Cylinder that will work?

Even at normal peddle height, there is not a lot of room between the wheel and my knee. I would be willing to spend a resonable amount to upgrade to a mc that required a very short throw.

Newfie
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I saw this today while searching. You may beable to contact them to see if they can make you a match.. Just a suggestion
Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY*::*Wilwood High Volume Aluminum Master Cylinder 4x4 - JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CTM, Johnny Joints®, Currie Enterprises, Edelbrock, Pit Bull Tires, Ramsey Winch, ARB, Walker Evans, Wilw
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ohh just noticed it was a brake master cylinder lol gotta do more searching sorry
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I'm not sure about how the Chevy setup is, but in my case any Ford truck would be a good donor.

The only thing about the Ford setup is that they use a plastic hose that gets held in to the clutch master cylinder and slave using a roll pin.

That may or may not work in your case.

I would think that any Chevy truck would have a similar setup.
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
Newfie_Jeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hey folks,

I inquired with Advanced Adapters today with my problem. They have helped me out of a few jams now, and I have 4 of their products already on the jeep. Great gear. Anyway, Here is the reply...

We do not offer a larger bore master for a YJ. You did not say what
slave cyl you are using at the trans. If you are using a factory GM
hydraulic bellhousing the only thing I can recommend is getting the
matching chevy master cylinder and modify to for the pedal and firewall.
If you have things working with the stock master you would have to move
the attachment point on the pedal and maybe the location of the master
on the firewall to get the ratio correct. Hope this helps.
Regards

Sales & Tech support
Advance Adapters
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Newfie_Jeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So I like this idea. Ultimately, if I could move the Master downwards on the fire wall, and move the mounting point on the pedal, then the distance of the stroke would increase, therefore allowing the pedal to not to have to rise as far at rest. I have no idea if this can work, but tomorrow in the daylight I will see what I have to work with.

Newfie
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Post pics of before and after so the next jeeper will have a reference..Good luck
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #14
jeffsme
1988 YJ Wrangler 

clutch pedal ride hight adjuster (home brew)

i myself have bought a knuckle dragger botch job myself and this was also an issue just it was a early bronco . remembered replacing the brake master cylinder a few months before . on the shaft between the pedal arm and the piston was a jam nut that required adjustment due to different thicknesses in firewalls from year to year . i adapted this experience to my clutch master by dremel tooling off a good square end (shaft was rounded) then threaded the end an inch or so and added a jam nut . after this i took the old brake master and yanked out the plunger and cut off a 2 inches from the pedal end of the shaft and threaded about 1.5 inches of the cut end . i then added a jam nut and a threaded rod coupler chopped in half , did a little custom grinding and drilling thus making an adjustable shaft and not the welded shaft which was there before just as you have now . it roughly only gave me 2 inches of adjustment but if you figure the geometry 2 inches there gained me maybe 3 at the pedal surface . if 3 would help you then heres another idea shared otherwise you can add spacers on the m/c side of the firewall like a bud of mine did .
jeffsme is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.