Need help please (about which battery for... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help please (about which battery for...

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 02-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
ALPHA-1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Need help please (about which battery for...

I have ordered the Warn M8000 winch for my 93 yj. I will also have 4 offroad lights mounted soon and of course my stereo and amp w subwoofer (for my daily driving to Montrose and other rockin 70's music) My question is: Will a OPTIMA YELLOW TOP BE GOOD FOR MY PRIMARY AND ONLY BATTERY??? I would like the lights and winch to work even if my engine is off (in water and waiting to pull out before re-starting). I was told my alternator would over charge the optima yellow top. or is there a better rout for me to go?

ALPHA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Smash209
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Dual battery setup would be best. I don't think the alt would overcharge a yellow-top, just may keep it topped off a little too much for the batts liking. The deep-cycles like to be drained more before charging. I would go with a red-top if your not going to be doing much with the engine off.
~~~~~~~~~ \\// ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Smash209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you're gonna be in water a lot and running your lights and winch you better do it quick. Those will rape the power out.

And it's ok, but from what I've understood, they're mostly only good if you're gonna be rolling over a lot so you don't have to worry about battery acid. But they hate the cold and die very quickly due to the manufacturing process.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
ALPHA-1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would like to get a regular car battery with 800 CCA but won't that thing die quick with engine off? I don't PLAN on having to use the winch without the jeep running but i would like to be prepared. so if i get a car battery with say... 800 CCA. would i be scimping and sacraficing deep cycle power? do most people get optimas for winch & lights? Sorry it's just a new stepping ground for me.
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
ALPHA-1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

so is going with something $75 cheaper gonna bite me in the *** down the road?
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As long as you buy something of good quality and not something cheap. What I heard one person say about that Optima's is that you're basically buying two, because it's guaranteed within the first year the 1st will fail so your high price pays for the 1st and 2nd battery.

I remember the best battery people liked was something-something-something Platinum.

The Optimas are good in case you know you're gonna roll since they're sealed and they don't leak out battery acid which would be bad.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When you ask about batteries on Jeep Forum, stand-by for the avalanche of opinions. I have used Optima for years in both very cold and very hot climates. I still do, and I have never had one disappoint me. An Optima yellow top will work for you.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
ALPHA-1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks everyone. Now I just need to decide. Yellow top, red top, or $100 reg battery. haha I can never decide when weighing pros and cons. I apreciate the help

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.