need help with my tranny any ideas?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help with my tranny any ideas??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
happy1426
1997 TJ Wrangler 

need help with my tranny any ideas??

So i bought a 88 yj with a 94 4.0l efi motor and tranny and transfer case in it the old fellow swapped it all over to the newer fuel injected, i took it home went for a drive up the road and its a 5 speed and it shifted from first to second then would grind so i stopped ad started over and up a little further same thing so i pulled over and that was it. its in neutraul and will not go into gear at all, tried everything transmission shop has it out now, and aint quite sure what it is he just told me they have to crack the case, and see whats goin on?? Any ideas or anyone have this problem before?? thanks for your help!!

happy1426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Since the trans shop has it, let's see what they say.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
happy1426
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ya just wondering in the meantime lol the guy also gave me another tranny with a transfer case, too
happy1426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That is exactly what mine started doing and I believe that is going to be your synchros going out. I did not want to spend the money rebuilding the AX-15 and had heard good things about the nv-3550 that they used in the 01 and later TJ's so i swapped one of them in. I picked it up from a junkyard an 03 model with less 20k. I did a write up on the swap but I do not know if it is still on this forum. if you decide to do it let me know and i am sure I can find it and email it to you.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.