Need help on motor swap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help on motor swap.

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
A4T1Rat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Need help on motor swap.

I have a 1989 Jeep YJ and I am putting in a 89 Cherokee 4.0 motor in it and I need a little help on the wiring side. I know that this motor is less popular but the price was right. so anyone out there help me out? what wires need to be spliced into the wrangler harness. Thanks

Unread 06-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
A4T1Rat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK just a update... I found a 94 cherokee 4.0L motor and am getting ready to put it in . 4.2 is out and 4.0 is ready to go I know I will need to do something about the CPS maybe the hesco one. my only concern is the wiring as the harness was cut off at the firewall connector. I have searched and found a few posts about the wire conectors bur most list the terminal number. is ther anyone that has the color to color connections that need to be done? I looked at the motor swap tech posted here on the forum but a lot of the links are dead.
Thanks
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Bastidjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Piece of cake!I hope this helps! Top one is the 94 cherokee. The lower is your Wrangler.
94-cherokee-bulkhead-connector.gif   jeep-wrangler-bulkhead-connector.gif  
Bastidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
A4T1Rat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OK my wire colors are a little different, any body have the diagram from a 87 wrangler? or are they the same colors?
Thanks
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

H2 on the engine harness, G5 on the IP side. It depends on how you rewired it to make it work on where they are at.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...dvice-1118478/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry posted to the wrong thread.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.