Need help Making my YJ go - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help Making my YJ go

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
TexasTrue
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Need help Making my YJ go

Background:
Bought a 91 YJ, 4.0L, 5 speed. This is my first jeep. I was rear-ended, so to make the most of my insurance money, I took the jeep apart myself and took just the tub and hood for paint and bodywork. In that time, I discovered the old wiring harness was toast. I replaced it with the E-Z 12 circuit wiring harness. That harness is not compatible with the computer in the front end. I am replacing the EFI with a Weber carburetor, removing the computer and going to a simple set-up.

Problems:
1. What distributor can I use that does not have the computer sensor plug? The ones I found are for the old CJ 4.2L engines. Will this work in my 4.0L YJ?
2. Do I need to replace the fuel pump as well?

I have read many of the threads on here debating carb/EFI, but I canít seem to find any that address this issue specifically. Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. There seem to be many strong emotions both ways on this issue. My mind is made up, the computer is gone, and now I need help making my poor jeep run again. Thanks.

TexasTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Basically it sounds like you're doing a "nutter" bypass. I imagine that any of the GM HEI kits are good for the distributor in this. I'm not an expert tho. Somebody who has done it on an 89 or earlier with the 4.2 would probably be able to help better.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carburetor , distributor , fuel injection , weber carb , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.