need help justifying a D60 over a 9" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help justifying a D60 over a 9"

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 07-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Have you considered the 8.8? Flame shields up. 99-2003 f150 had the same axle as the 95-00 explorer. But it was ~65" wide at the wheel mount surfaces, had 5x5.5 bolt pattern, bigger brakes, and I believe it was available in 3.73 with trac lock. Which means to me, you can run your rig in less time because you wouldn't have to regear, and install a selectable right away, you can do that later. If I remember correctly this axle was in the 4.2, and 4.6 f-150's. the 5.4 models had the 9.5 axle, but if I remember correctly, 3.55 was all the deeper they equipped them with from the factory. However they are the same width. Hangs lower though I think, not sure how much. Might be something worth a bit of research.
Btw. C clip eliminaters don't make the axles less likely to break, unless you go with the beefy axle shafts at the same time, they just hold the pieces together when it does break. But having disk brakes will hold your pieces together because the caliper will stay put.

Last edited by Relicmoto; 07-17-2013 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Added to facts
Relicmoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
kheihn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris
Im not a fan of stock d60 rears since most have low spline small shafts. A fair amount of work to machine the spindles for 35spline. My buddy has broken quite a few stock shafts on 35s with a 2.5l

The 9in has the paper thin housing , super low pinion, and you need to pony up for a nodular iron third or it will just crack. I wouldnt want to run a HP in the rear.
I am running a 9 out of a HD Ford and it is not paper thin!
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
Ever thought about a 14 bolt? They are a dime a dozen and are STOUT! Many cool things about the 14 bolt. One big downside is the ground clearence, but not to far off from a 60.

here is more information
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/
Trust me I am the biggest supporter of the 14 bolt ( or a Eaton HO axle ) but in the case for the OP only running 35's its way over kill. A 60 even with the stock 1 3/8" 30 spline shafts the 60 will be perfect.
Perfect till he decides to up grade to 37's/38's and he will be in the same boat as a other member on this site is, breaking shafts and soon to upgrading to a 14 B.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relicmoto View Post
Have you considered the 8.8? Flame shields up. 99-2003 f150 had the same axle as the 95-00 explorer. But it was ~65" wide at the wheel mount surfaces, had 5x5.5 bolt pattern, bigger brakes, and I believe it was available in 3.73 with trac lock. Which means to me, you can run your rig in less time because you wouldn't have to regear, and install a selectable right away, you can do that later. If I remember correctly this axle was in the 4.2, and 4.6 f-150's. the 5.4 models had the 9.5 axle, but if I remember correctly, 3.55 was all the deeper they equipped them with from the factory. However they are the same width. Hangs lower though I think, not sure how much. Might be something worth a bit of research.
Btw. C clip eliminaters don't make the axles less likely to break, unless you go with the beefy axle shafts at the same time, they just hold the pieces together when it does break. But having disk brakes will hold your pieces together because the caliper will stay put.
I'm glad you brought this up!! I thought I had remembered reading something about this a little while ago. I was actually going to ask about it today, but you already took care of that lol. I'm definitely going to look into it to see if it's a viable contender.

As for the 14b, oh Hell no lol. I've seen those, and I'm not gonna be rocking 40s.. Plus that axle is heavy as ****!! Haha

Edit: actually you know what, I did look into this before... I went to car-part.com and when it came to the axle selection part... Well, look for yourself. Punch in 99 F150 rear axle assy. I'm lost lol
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relicmoto View Post

Good information here.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
I'm glad you brought this up!! I thought I had remembered reading something about this a little while ago. I was actually going to ask about it today, but you already took care of that lol. I'm definitely going to look into it to see if it's a viable contender.

As for the 14b, oh Hell no lol. I've seen those, and I'm not gonna be rocking 40s.. Plus that axle is heavy as ****!! Haha

Edit: actually you know what, I did look into this before... I went to car-part.com and when it came to the axle selection part... Well, look for yourself. Punch in 99 F150 rear axle assy. I'm lost lol
Save wieght... do disc brakes
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

8.8 & chromos, maybe a wider axle like suggested above. Disc brakes would be nice to help retain an axle should one break.

With disc brakes you will probably need to change the master cylinder or do some tinkering (drums would not require such mods).
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC 'canman still had one of his 8.8 shafts walk out even with the mods mentioned above.

The 8.8 is a good axle in a YJ, regardless, especially if you're keeping the front 30, they pair up well.

If you're swapping in a wider front, I'd pair it up with a wider rear. If I were doing the hp44, I'd just put the matching rear from there same ford truck (which will be a 60 if you are swapping the more desirable 3/4 ton front hp44)

I'd keep the larger brakes and 8 lug setup as well.

This is all 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. All the axles mentioned (9", 8.8, 60) will be enough for 35s behind the 4bt.

We could also have a discussion about what you're getting by swapping in a 44 (only getting a stronger gear set and housing if you keep the stock shafts), but that's a discussion for another day.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
8.8 & chromos, maybe a wider axle like suggested above. Disc brakes would be nice to help retain an axle should one break.

With disc brakes you will probably need to change the master cylinder or do some tinkering (drums would not require such mods).
Thee 8.8 disks work great with the stock YJ master/brake setup, no tinkering was needed (at least mine worked great right away, not sure about your setup).

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would take a look at a Ford 10.25. There are plenty of gear choices. They are only 1/2'' lower than a D60 and with a shave less than a D60. I have seen them hold a well built 7.3 power stroke so it should hold a 4bt.
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, dont get me wrong, the disc caliper is no c-clip eliminator, but it helps.

the disc brakes are hit and miss from my research and places I talk to. Maybe crappy bleeding practices, just food for thought.

What about shaving the axle?
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A good c-clip eliminator ultimate 88 setup with cromo axles should be very strong. It can also give you 1" wider at each side. The explorer brake calipers are, well, tiny..
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Gentleman,

Took the last few days to do some more research based on what's been posted here. Cant thank you guys enough for your input, seriously. I looked into the full width 8.8 as well as the newer 9.75, F9 and D60. Based on simplicity of installation, availability of parts (both stock and aftermarket), pricing for options, and a couple other factors I think I'll be going with the 60. Got my hands on some pics of 60s with 35s and the clearance isn't too bad, I can live with it.
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #29
Wyogunman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 60 with a SOA and even with the axle turned up it has plenty of clearance. If you want when I get home from work I can take a picture and measure it out for you
Wyogunman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #30
Wyogunman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a D 60 with 35's and I have plenty of clearance. If you want I could take some pictures and measure it out for you.
Wyogunman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.