need help justifying a D60 over a 9" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help justifying a D60 over a 9"

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys,

Been researching like a mad scientist lately for my build up and the one thing I'm really hung up on is what flavor rear axle to go with.
An HP44 its going up front and I had been looking at going with a 9 in the rear. But between the LP issue and ARB being the only real choice for a selectable, I'm shying away from it. I had considered getting a HP 3rd member from Currie buuut ~$1500 is a little steep for what it is and it still wouldn't be what I want. I'm unfamiliar with the 60, and only know it to be a heavy monster of an axle that rock crawlers would burn a small village for.

So my submission is this:
1) if I'm going to be wheeling 35s, is the 60 a good choice or is it too big and going to hang me up all the time?
2) if I (potentially) roll with 33s on the street, is that going to cause any issues as well?

Wheeling types would include the majority being mud and various trails as well as some minor to moderate crawling.

build summary:
4BT w/intercooler and snorkel
SOA. No lift or 1-2 at MOST.
HP44 possible 2-3" stretch
NV4500
Hi steer
Cloaks in front.
LOTS of other goodies.

ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The 60 pumpkin is a little large for 35s, but not terrible.

Rear 60s are also a dime a dozen, which is nice.

In general, I think there are better options in a YJ for 35s, but it sounds like you are shooting to match width/bolt pattern with your front HP44 and have something substantial behind your 4bt. The 60 isn't a horrible choice for this, but a little overkill. An 8.8 would probably be just fine.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Agree that the 8.8 would be ok if your not going for a wider rear end and can be made pretty stout. The 9" like you said has a super low pinion so not as favorable. D60 is fine, but unless you get Currie, Dynatrac or Teraflex CRD it will hang a little low with 35's. I think a D60 with a diesel may not be a bad idea though and you will probably go bigger tires some day, with your planned lift and cloaks it should be cake to do so.
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was afraid it might be a little too big. As a whole, the overkill factor is ok. It's actually one of the main directions for this build. A bigger turbo, and increased fueling, and different valve/gov springs are in the future for the Cummins so I definitely need an axle that can take some abuse.
Dillon you are correct in that I'd like to match the widths front and rear. I had considered the 8.8 for the longest time but when I decided to go full width, that kind of disqualified it.

it was mentioned that there are other options out there. Aside from the ones mentioned, what would those be?
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
jason m

Bolt pattern would be something I would look at first which means address which 44 is going to be used up front. You said a HP44, well Ford made two flavors a 5 lug 1/2 ton which use's the 5 on 5.5 rims and a 8 lug 3/4 ton witch use's a 8 on 6.5 pattern.

Once you figure that out then you can make a better choice for the rear. Lets say you wanted to keep the 5 on 5.5 pattern but still wanted a 60, now the search is on a for the J-4000 truck rear axle, which is a semi float 60 with 5 on 5.5 pattern and about the same width as that 44 front.

If you decide to use a 3/4 ton axle, well when you take the front out remove the rear and now you have a matched set. I will say that rear 60 in stock form will only be good till you hit 37" tires then it will need some major mods to handle larger tires.

Again if it were me I work on bolt patterns first, this way it can help point the direction as what to look for.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can convert the 8 lug 44 to 5. I am sure you can change the 5 to 8, so really the bolt pattern should not matter.
Really can not tell you much about the 60 but I will say I run the Currie high pinion 9 inch and have not had any problems with it.
Something to consider though is gearing, The Currie unit uses 8.8 ring and pinion. 5.29 is as low as you can go.
The other option would be a True High nine, that uses the 9 inch ring and pinion.http://www.truehi9.com/index.html
Just my personal opinion but I would go with a spool or a full Detroit in the rear.
I would use the selectable in the front.
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If your Jeep sees a lot of street time, I'd use a selectable in the rear too.

Its night and day difference on the pavement being able to unlock the rear. I did the full time locker on a couple rigs before my WJ and prefer a selectable.

Just my 2 cents

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Im not a fan of stock d60 rears since most have low spline small shafts. A fair amount of work to machine the spindles for 35spline. My buddy has broken quite a few stock shafts on 35s with a 2.5l

The 9in has the paper thin housing , super low pinion, and you need to pony up for a nodular iron third or it will just crack. I wouldnt want to run a HP in the rear.
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
Im not a fan of stock d60 rears since most have low spline small shafts. A fair amount of work to machine the spindles for 35spline. My buddy has broken quite a few stock shafts on 35s with a 2.5l

The 9in has the paper thin housing , super low pinion, and you need to pony up for a nodular iron third or it will just crack. I wouldnt want to run a HP in the rear.
The 30 spline 60 should be fine for his application, especially if he adds chromo shafts.

35 spliners aren't a bad idea, but even the stock 30s are stronger than 8.8 shafts which hold up to a lot of abuse.

Sounds like your buddy wheels the even older coarse spline (16 spline)? I wouldn't recommend running those in a wheeling rig, especially since you can easily convert to 30 spline chromos (Yukon makes multiple lengths).

Unread 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Keep it comin guys, I REALLY appreciate all the input so far. a good debate with different points of view is how we're going to get to the bottom of this...
As for what's been said, Bolt pattern isn't that big of an issue to me, personally. I don't have a preference and I know for the most part what needs to be done to swap it to a 5x5.5, if I wanted to. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.. speaking of when the time comes, it'll be a late 70s F250 HP44 that's going in the front.

Now for the rear.. super low gearing isn't really on the spec list. From the calculations I've made via grimmjeeper.com, the NV4500, 3.73s and 35's will put me right about where I want to be. When dealing with the Cummins, the torque it produces and somewhat limited rev range, I've found higher gear ratios are better suited. This has also been documented in other 4BT swaps.

As much of a bombproof/ simplistic utilitarian direction as I'm going with this build,... I'm not trying to be dragging an anchor between my rear wheels haha. Been doing some reading around the forum and it's been said that a 60 with 35s will have about the same amount of clearance as stock. Hm.
The selectable really is a make or break issue.
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So the F9 is out... Now it's down to either an 8.8 with chromo's and C Clip eliminators or a 60. F$%^ IT.. if I drag, I drag lol. that's what a winch is for, am I right?

As always, Appreciate all the help Gents.
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Get the 9". Period. It's a strong axle. Contraty to popular belief Stronger than the 60. Low pinion but a pinion guard fixes that. Don't know what other choices you have for full width in that class. Other than a wide d44. But I wouldn't waste my money on one of those.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just so you know I run an full width F350 HPD60 in the front, and recently removed my widened Explorer style F8.8 rear. My point is - the D60 & F8.8 had the exact same ground clearance since the 8.8 was dialed high being that I'm SOA.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
So the F9 is out... Now it's down to either an 8.8 with chromo's and C Clip eliminators or a 60. F$%^ IT.. if I drag, I drag lol. that's what a winch is for, am I right?

As always, Appreciate all the help Gents.
Go big or go home. Don't get the 8.8. Too narrow to match the front. Get the 9 and don't look back.

Be cool like me! Drop 35 spline chromolys n a spool in it slap a grin on ur face n don't fear the gas pedal.

But if that's not your thing go with the 60. You will always want more. Never less

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ever thought about a 14 bolt? They are a dime a dozen and are STOUT! Many cool things about the 14 bolt. One big downside is the ground clearence, but not to far off from a 60.

here is more information
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.