Need help installing 3.5in superlift springs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help installing 3.5in superlift springs

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just bought new shocks for her today! And my mechanic said he could do the install for 100 bucks.. I know it's only right to do it all yourself, but I may end up putting the jeep in the shop for that price. It would save me a heck of alot of time also.

Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I understand the time saving thing but shocks are only two bolts each. You can do it!
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #18
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright guys, my yj is hitting the shop tomorrow. i was actually going to do it myself this week seeing as how i am graduating from High school and now have some time!!! but my dad decided he would go ahead and let the mechanic do it all since I have now broken my rear drivers side shock mount, and have no welding ability (wish i could learn) and that said, my mechanic said its been slow so he is willing to install the whole thing, Springs, new shocks (oh yeah I bought those too) and a t-case drop (picked up on here for $16) as well as fix what I broke for $120. My dad's grad present to me! haha, hopefully pictures to post up here by tomorrow afternoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
Alright guys, my yj is hitting the shop tomorrow. i was actually going to do it myself this week seeing as how i am graduating from High school and now have some time!!! but my dad decided he would go ahead and let the mechanic do it all since I have now broken my rear drivers side shock mount, and have no welding ability (wish i could learn) and that said, my mechanic said its been slow so he is willing to install the whole thing, Springs, new shocks (oh yeah I bought those too) and a t-case drop (picked up on here for $16) as well as fix what I broke for $120. My dad's grad present to me! haha, hopefully pictures to post up here by tomorrow afternoon!
You've got a membership now so I don't see any reason you're keeping the pictures from us.
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sadly my jeep is still sitting on those crappy shackles.. apparently my mechanic isn't and mechanically inclined as I expected and has decided he was not going to finish the install after 2 hours underneath it today. I was pssed, let me tell you. Looks like it will not be on new suspension before my trip to the beach next week. You know what they say... Want something done right you have to do it yourself. If only I had Anticanman here to lend me a hand! haha

here's a pic for ya of the yj sitting in the school parkinglot beside my friends '75 CJ5.

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
Thumper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished installing the same lift. If you remove both front springs and the track bar and sway at links and support your axle with a jack you can move it around a bit to line up the pin with the hole. Also look at the u bolts closely they are slightly different sizes. Do you have the instructions that came with the lift? It explains it quite well.
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #562[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Thumper01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper01 View Post
I just finished installing the same lift. If you remove both front springs and the track bar and sway at links and support your axle with a jack you can move it around a bit to line up the pin with the hole. Also look at the u bolts closely they are slightly different sizes. Do you have the instructions that came with the lift? It explains it quite well.
I didnt buy the whole lift, I just bought the springs from 4wheelparts and then shocks from autozone, and a t-case drop. Piecing it together turned out to be alot cheaper. thanks for the tips, I am going to be doing the install myself after I get back from the beach. Its probobly better this way anyways so that I dont get all the salt on my new springs..

do you have a pic of yours with this set up?

Quote:
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #23
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Piecing it together is a much cheaper alternative.

Well Done!!
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #24
Thumper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

image-3854149126.jpg

image-1433612679.jpg

Best pics I have right now with lift.
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #562[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #25
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Piecing it together is a much cheaper alternative.

Well Done!!
I know I always hear the "do it right the first time" thing, so I wasn't sure if I had been doing the right thing, but hopefully soon I will discover that I have gotten the same results for much less money.

just out of curiosity, are there any things that I am missing that i will absolutely need before I get it on the lift?

Quote:
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #26
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Attachment 410636

Attachment 410639

Best pics I have right now with lift.
That looks great! you did a shackle reversal also?

Quote:
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
Thumper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The shackle reversal was done by the PO. I did put Currie boomerangs in the rear and Currie straights in the front.
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What are you doing about steering?
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #29
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The shackle reversal was done by the PO. I did put Currie boomerangs in the rear and Currie straights in the front.
what are the benefits of a shackle reversal? mine has a welded on shackle like plate from the PO but it seems like if i put my leafs there it would shift the whole front end forward?? Ill try and snap a pic tomorrow.

also I started my build thread over here if you guys wanna check it out..
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...dream-1378217/

Quote:
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #30
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What are you doing about steering?
I have no plans to change it. I have a stabilizer but don't know what else needs to be done. it should only net about 3.5 inches.

Quote:

Tags
leaf spring , lift kit , superlift , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.