Need help installing 3.5in superlift springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help installing 3.5in superlift springs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Need help installing 3.5in superlift springs

okay, so I decided I want to get rid of the dang shackles and get a new set of leaf springs. The shackles give me close to if not more than three inches of lift, so I assumed that everything would still work the way It does now with these springs. I spent yesterday taking off the front drivers side spring only to put it back on because I couldn't get the u bolts back on in the center. I got both front and back eyes bolted on, but the center pins would never line up or I couldnt get my axle to line up. I dont know. Are there any tips with the install?

Also, while installing, all I did was remove the spring, and spring plate. I didn't unbolt the shock or anything else.

Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had this exact same issue installing my superlift springs. It took quite a bit of finagling to get the center pins in the holes on the axle. After I finally got them in, the shackles were in a bind and I thought I was screwed. I said screw it and torqued my shackles to 40 ft/lbs and after a little test drive everything was where it should be.
YJ_Squared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I read your post 3 times before I replied; you replace the springs as s set and not one at a time.

Unbolt both sides and replace both sides.

If I am missing something I apologize.
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ_Squared View Post
I had this exact same issue installing my superlift springs. It took quite a bit of finagling to get the center pins in the holes on the axle. After I finally got them in, the shackles were in a bind and I thought I was screwed. I said screw it and torqued my shackles to 40 ft/lbs and after a little test drive everything was where it should be.
Were yoyr shackles faced backwards towards the arc of the springs? thats how mine were, but i never could get the center pin lined up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SFF250 View Post
I read your post 3 times before I replied; you replace the springs as s set and not one at a time.

Unbolt both sides and replace both sides.

If I am missing something I apologize.
And yes, sorry Its hard to explain, but if I do both at the same time do I have to take the shocks off, or will It just line up right automatically?

Thanks for the fast responses!
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post

And yes, sorry Its hard to explain, but if I do both at the same time do I have to take the shocks off, or will It just line up right automatically?

Thanks for the fast responses!
You can leave the shocks on; the axel won't line itself put if you use a floor jack it helps a lot.

Some things go together easy, some need to be hit a little with a BFH.

Good luck
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do you still have track bars? If so, ditch them altogether.

Having track bars installed while attempting to change springs makes lining everything up almost impossible.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do you mean were my shackles inverted? If so, yes they were. Once you put some weight on the spring everything will be fine.

I have to say though, my 3.5" springs gave me a good bit more than 3.5" of lift. You may run into more problems like brake lines and driveline issues like I did.
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
ewisdom
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed larger springs on my 94. Bought 2.5 inch springs and gained 4 inches, that's how bad my old springs were sagging.
had lots of issues getting them to either line up with the shackles or the center pin.
What I ended up doing is, attaching to mounting brackets and shackles first. Loosely, do not tighten any bolts completely until you get weight on them.
Using several small bottle jacks and another floor jack. Slowly lift the springs up onto the axle and try to align with the center pin.
Using a series of other smaller jacks use them to push the axle forward or back, to help line up the center pin.
I laid a small 1/2 ton bottle jack on top of the spring and pushed the axle enough to line up the pin.
On one axle I had to put a small scissor jack (the stock Jeep Jack) between the wheel bub and the spring to push it in an inch to line up the center pin.

Hope this helps.
ewisdom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem both times with my leaf springs. First time, the Axle had the track bar so it really messed up alignment. 2nd time, I just had a floor jack under the axle so it moved pretty freely.

I got one center pin on one side located in the perch, and then just got my feet wedged on something, and pulled (Not yanked, don't want the jeep falling over) the new spring until I got it in the center.

2 pairs of hands makes it easier. But I did it by myself, so as long as you have patience, it should go fine.

Oh and PB Blast everything!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips guys! I am working all week so wont be able to get back under it until maybe friday, but i will definitely try this stuff. The PO had a 5 inch lift on it before so I dont have to worry about the brake lines, and I am hoping the wedge part on the rear springs will fix any vibes. Ill be sure to come to this with updates later this week!
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update: springs still sitting on the ground at home. I guess I'm waiting on a t-case drop. Just one thing after another Haha
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the world of jeeps my friend!
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #13
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

They're all different! I had an 86 Cherokee. bought stock. Put on a four Inch lift and never touched the driveline. I put longer shackles on my yj and get vibes Haha. Hopefully a one inch case drop and the degree shims on the leaf springs will re-aline everything. Do you guys suggest anything with the steering with the new springs?
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
YJ_Squared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14
They're all different! I had an 86 Cherokee. bought stock. Put on a four Inch lift and never touched the driveline. I put longer shackles on my yj and get vibes Haha. Hopefully a one inch case drop and the degree shims on the leaf springs will re-aline everything. Do you guys suggest anything with the steering with the new springs?
You will have to adjust the drag link to recenter the steering wheel. Other than that, nothing should change.

Be sure to update with your springs installed. I ran into all sorts of problems like my brake lines being a bit too short and my shocks are just a hair away from being fully extended and they are for a 4" lift. Enough problems that I checked the part numbers to make sure they were 3.5" springs. Hopefully mine will settle out some after I can drive it for while. SYE comes before that though.
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mines a dd so I am hoping the vibes are gone and I can drive it while i save up for an sye. I never wanted to get into it that far (sye, cv) but it is starting to look as if it will be happening. Oh well, do it right the first time right?

Tags
leaf spring , lift kit , superlift , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.