JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Need help installing 3.5in superlift springs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/need-help-installing-3-5in-superlift-springs-1365869/)

Carlos14 05-06-2012 10:00 PM

Need help installing 3.5in superlift springs

okay, so I decided I want to get rid of the dang shackles and get a new set of leaf springs. The shackles give me close to if not more than three inches of lift, so I assumed that everything would still work the way It does now with these springs. I spent yesterday taking off the front drivers side spring only to put it back on because I couldn't get the u bolts back on in the center. I got both front and back eyes bolted on, but the center pins would never line up or I couldnt get my axle to line up. I dont know. Are there any tips with the install?

Also, while installing, all I did was remove the spring, and spring plate. I didn't unbolt the shock or anything else.

YJ_Squared 05-06-2012 10:12 PM

I had this exact same issue installing my superlift springs. It took quite a bit of finagling to get the center pins in the holes on the axle. After I finally got them in, the shackles were in a bind and I thought I was screwed. I said screw it and torqued my shackles to 40 ft/lbs and after a little test drive everything was where it should be.

G30SFF250 05-06-2012 10:14 PM

I read your post 3 times before I replied; you replace the springs as s set and not one at a time.

Unbolt both sides and replace both sides.

If I am missing something I apologize.:cheers:

Carlos14 05-07-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ_Squared (Post 13528210)
I had this exact same issue installing my superlift springs. It took quite a bit of finagling to get the center pins in the holes on the axle. After I finally got them in, the shackles were in a bind and I thought I was screwed. I said screw it and torqued my shackles to 40 ft/lbs and after a little test drive everything was where it should be.

Were yoyr shackles faced backwards towards the arc of the springs? thats how mine were, but i never could get the center pin lined up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by G30SFF250 (Post 13528228)
I read your post 3 times before I replied; you replace the springs as s set and not one at a time.

Unbolt both sides and replace both sides.

If I am missing something I apologize.:cheers:

And yes, sorry Its hard to explain, but if I do both at the same time do I have to take the shocks off, or will It just line up right automatically?

Thanks for the fast responses!

G30SFF250 05-07-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos14 (Post 13528778)

And yes, sorry Its hard to explain, but if I do both at the same time do I have to take the shocks off, or will It just line up right automatically?

Thanks for the fast responses!

You can leave the shocks on; the axel won't line itself put if you use a floor jack it helps a lot.

Some things go together easy, some need to be hit a little with a BFH.

Good luck :wave:

Mean Max 05-07-2012 06:32 AM

Do you still have track bars? If so, ditch them altogether.

Having track bars installed while attempting to change springs makes lining everything up almost impossible.

Max

YJ_Squared 05-07-2012 07:03 AM

Do you mean were my shackles inverted? If so, yes they were. Once you put some weight on the spring everything will be fine.

I have to say though, my 3.5" springs gave me a good bit more than 3.5" of lift. You may run into more problems like brake lines and driveline issues like I did.

ewisdom 05-07-2012 08:35 AM

I just installed larger springs on my 94. Bought 2.5 inch springs and gained 4 inches, that's how bad my old springs were sagging.
had lots of issues getting them to either line up with the shackles or the center pin.
What I ended up doing is, attaching to mounting brackets and shackles first. Loosely, do not tighten any bolts completely until you get weight on them.
Using several small bottle jacks and another floor jack. Slowly lift the springs up onto the axle and try to align with the center pin.
Using a series of other smaller jacks use them to push the axle forward or back, to help line up the center pin.
I laid a small 1/2 ton bottle jack on top of the spring and pushed the axle enough to line up the pin.
On one axle I had to put a small scissor jack (the stock Jeep Jack) between the wheel bub and the spring to push it in an inch to line up the center pin.

Hope this helps.

Rynfw100 05-07-2012 09:02 AM

I had the same problem both times with my leaf springs. First time, the Axle had the track bar so it really messed up alignment. 2nd time, I just had a floor jack under the axle so it moved pretty freely.

I got one center pin on one side located in the perch, and then just got my feet wedged on something, and pulled (Not yanked, don't want the jeep falling over) the new spring until I got it in the center.

2 pairs of hands makes it easier. But I did it by myself, so as long as you have patience, it should go fine.

Oh and PB Blast everything!

Carlos14 05-07-2012 10:19 AM

Thanks for the tips guys! I am working all week so wont be able to get back under it until maybe friday, but i will definitely try this stuff. The PO had a 5 inch lift on it before so I dont have to worry about the brake lines, and I am hoping the wedge part on the rear springs will fix any vibes. Ill be sure to come to this with updates later this week!

Carlos14 05-13-2012 10:25 PM

Update: springs still sitting on the ground at home. I guess I'm waiting on a t-case drop. Just one thing after another Haha

YJ_Squared 05-13-2012 10:32 PM

Welcome to the world of jeeps my friend!

Carlos14 05-13-2012 10:46 PM

They're all different! I had an 86 Cherokee. bought stock. Put on a four Inch lift and never touched the driveline. I put longer shackles on my yj and get vibes Haha. Hopefully a one inch case drop and the degree shims on the leaf springs will re-aline everything. Do you guys suggest anything with the steering with the new springs?

YJ_Squared 05-13-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos14
They're all different! I had an 86 Cherokee. bought stock. Put on a four Inch lift and never touched the driveline. I put longer shackles on my yj and get vibes Haha. Hopefully a one inch case drop and the degree shims on the leaf springs will re-aline everything. Do you guys suggest anything with the steering with the new springs?

You will have to adjust the drag link to recenter the steering wheel. Other than that, nothing should change.

Be sure to update with your springs installed. I ran into all sorts of problems like my brake lines being a bit too short and my shocks are just a hair away from being fully extended and they are for a 4" lift. Enough problems that I checked the part numbers to make sure they were 3.5" springs. Hopefully mine will settle out some after I can drive it for while. SYE comes before that though.

Carlos14 05-13-2012 11:03 PM

Mines a dd so I am hoping the vibes are gone and I can drive it while i save up for an sye. I never wanted to get into it that far (sye, cv) but it is starting to look as if it will be happening. Oh well, do it right the first time right?

The time now is 01:01 AM.