Need Help Ignition Switch !!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Help Ignition Switch !!!!!

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

Need Help Ignition Switch !!!!!

Ok guys New problem has arisen. Thanks to everyone here i recently repair my dont start problem previosuly posted under cranks and cranks etc......

welll after I fixed that problem i ran into another problem. My ignition switch, Not to be confused with the ignitionLock which of course the key goes into.

Im referring to the ignition switch ontop of the steering column, that utlizies an actuator rod to start the car.

I reached in their to inspect it, clean it make sure everything was good to go, and I moved it I disengaged the rod and cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong. I cant seem to put her back on. Im completely confused.

This is a simple mechanical jigsaw puzzle that i cant not seem to solve. mind you the weather is getting colder and it certianly isnt helping my patience any...Ugghhh and I just solved one other problem with the ECM.

HELPPPPPPPPp

crzylgzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
SniperYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you took it completely out, then it will take a little adjusting to get it back in correctly.
To do it, ensure the notch on the switch is in the Accessories position, and make sure your key is also in this position when you try to put it back on. Once that is done, position the switch on the rod and get the bolts started. Before tightening them all the way down, pull the switch assembly as far toward the front of the vehicle as you can, then tighten the bolts down and try it out. If your key is still not making the Jeep do what it should be doing, then you are going to have to find the "sweet spot" for your Jeep. I have this issue with my 92and my buddies 87, but they were both pretty easy to fix, once I got an idea what the issue was. Hope this helps
SniperYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzylgzz View Post

Ok guys New problem has arisen. Thanks to everyone here i recently repair my dont start problem previosuly posted under cranks and cranks etc......

welll after I fixed that problem i ran into another problem. My ignition switch, Not to be confused with the ignitionLock which of course the key goes into.

Im referring to the ignition switch ontop of the steering column, that utlizies an actuator rod to start the car.

I reached in their to inspect it, clean it make sure everything was good to go, and I moved it I disengaged the rod and cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong. I cant seem to put her back on. Im completely confused.

This is a simple mechanical jigsaw puzzle that i cant not seem to solve. mind you the weather is getting colder and it certianly isnt helping my patience any...Ugghhh and I just solved one other problem with the ECM.

HELPPPPPPPPp
Here is some links topics from a '95 FSM. Did it this way since the poics are large. This may help you with the parts in front of you. I'll leave these pics up for a whiule OK?

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/x60.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/x61.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/x62.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/x63.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/x64.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/x65.jpg

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

Layback, that post was extremely helpful, but unortunately my problem isnt the IGNITION LOCk. , but rather the ignition swith, that hidden doo hickey on the steering column itself. I got it off, , but for some reason she doesnt wanna go back on.

I dont wish to apply pressure to the rod for fear of damaging it. But
walk me thru this

1. the rod attaches to the ignition switch on the side of the actual switch, I see a hole there for what appears to be the opening forthe rod.

2. I place the rod in, seat the switch apply bolts, adjust for operation, and then thats it.

So i attach the bolt. and then i cant get the switch to seat on its bolt seat. its insane. its as if the assembly never belonged there .

my switch looks like this, only blue. suggestions.

Unread 12-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=SniperYJ;6174817].
To do it, ensure the notch on the switch is in the Accessories position, and make sure your key is also in this /QUOTE]

Ok the Key part I can do, but i dont fully know where or what position accessory is on the actual switch, therearent any indicators for such.
Unread 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey,,, if i can repair my ECM, I can do this. I just dont wanna damage anything, Hence why im asking.
Unread 12-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

that is the correct peice for the non tilt steering column type. so first check that. i just installed the same peice today the trick is to look at how the origional was set up and take a small screw driver and set it up to look exactly the same. when you try to seat it do not put the plugs in first, put htem in after it is secure.
1-First put that crazy screw in that has the washer and hex head attached to the shaft
2- line up the white and silver peice that has a black plug( on the left side of the column, uses same screws to hold down)
3- then put the little hex headed screw in that is closest towards the steering column
4- secure the farther end by putting the hex nut on and tighten down
5. now re-plug the plugs into place

that is how i did it and i had no isues w/ reconnecting it
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey BMX Morning, never mind the time stamp on this board. Trust me when I tell you that its 0500 hrs our time and this has me going insane.

OK your explanation is doable. Ill do it.

But if you can remember, the position of the Rod that would be a great help. My rob when your looking at it bends upwards. The hole within the switch seems to force the rod onto its side causeing a tension when you attenpt to insert it.

Now my question is, do i bend the rod to fit or shoild it just pop in " no fuss no muss"
Unread 12-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzylgzz View Post
Hey BMX Morning, never mind the time stamp on this board. Trust me when I tell you that its 0500 hrs our time and this has me going insane.

OK your explanation is doable. Ill do it.

But if you can remember, the position of the Rod that would be a great help. My rob when your looking at it bends upwards. The hole within the switch seems to force the rod onto its side causeing a tension when you attenpt to insert it.

Now my question is, do i bend the rod to fit or shoild it just pop in " no fuss no muss"
I would not be bending any rods as there is an adjustment hole for the switch. I haven't had a column apart in some years but with other prople chiming in here I beleive you will get it in eventually. Question - Do you have a tilt or non-tilt column and would it make a difference. It must I would think.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 12-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

And both ends of that rod are shown in this picture but not in great detail.
http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/x62.jpg

Unread 12-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

All i can say is WOW. I mean really, wow. when I accidentally removed my switch, I didnt notice the position of the actual switch itself. The whole time i had the piece not only reversed, but upside down. I mean what kind of a simpleton am I.

I looked at my friends 95 Jeep. and I discovered the problem.

BMX, Layback, SNIPER, you guys are ACES, thnxs so much for your Input, Support and guidance.

I fell in love with the forum, Ill be here lending my experience, and what will become "Know how" to all that ask.

Again, thank you.

Needless to say i got it in, Needs some adjusting, but she's in and she starts up.

Mark this the 2nd item I conquered on this forum...

Issue RESOLVED.
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
wildman90
1993 YJ Wrangler 

and another one bites the dust! glad its fixed
wildman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #13
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

I feel like acomplete fool, I didnt even realize I had it not only reversed, but upside down as well.
After it was installed ......
Unread 12-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
SniperYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear we could help
SniperYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
RSLary
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I could use a bit of advise on ignition switch. When I put the key in and try to turn on, I have to jiggle it around a bit to get it to turn. Its a given that somtime soon it wont turn at all. Can someone tell me where to start with this problem? I replaced the directional control arm last year (with the help of this forum, THANK YOU) how does that repair compare to this one on the challange meter?
RSLary is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.