Need help, Heep won't start, electrical dead - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help, Heep won't start, electrical dead

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Need help, Heep won't start, electrical dead

Ok, I went out to start the Jeep and it cranked a couple of times and then went dead. Turn the key and nothing. Have lights, and emergency flashers, no horn, no gauges. Buzzer sounds when key is turn to start but no juice. Read some on here about problem so here is what we did. Removed and cleaned starter relay terminals. Moved it up on firewall found four fusible links and they tested good. Cannot find any fried wires. Put it back together and still no go. How many fusible links should there be? Also where is the ignition control modual located and could that be the culprit? By the way, had some smoke inside on passenger side when failure first occurred. Please, any info will be helpful. I was trying to sell this thing and had a caller interested in looking at it, ----until now!
Oh yeah, its a 1990 YJ with 4.2 six cylinder, 5 speed manual and 141000 on the clock.

Lgleason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check you fuse box inside for a blown fuse? It sounds like the ignition battery feed fuse opened.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did but its hard to see, I'll take a closer look. Meanwhile do you know how many fusible links there are?
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the link to the 90 FSM. I am not sure, I never really counted. I thought there was 4 but you can go to the electrical section and look at the starter relay to make sure.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/87-88%20YJ%20Jeep%20Wrangler%20FSM%20manual.pdf
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Here is the link to the 90 FSM. I am not sure, I never really counted. I thought there was 4 but you can go to the electrical section and look at the starter relay to make sure.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/199...e%20Manual.pdf
The link doesn't work,maybe you could try again?
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I corrected the link. Try it again. PM Ninjakid and join dropbox for him. It seems like a small thing but that manual is worth it's weight in gold and he gets more storage space when you join dropbox through him.
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I corrected the link. Try it again. PM Ninjakid and join dropbox for him. It seems like a small thing but that manual is worth it's weight in gold and he gets more storage space when you join dropbox through him.
Thank you, I was able to open it, now the hard part, understanding it, thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.