Need help - gear oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help - gear oil leak

50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring KitFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Rockrider1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Need help - gear oil leak

1988 YJ, Peugeot 5 sp. tranny I think, 231 TC. Put new clutch in other day and looking at it from top side while inside of vehicle (tranny/tc installed), now have gear oil running down right side, onto skid plate, top of right side tranny, and bottom of floorboard right side. There is a approx. 1" hole to the right of shift tower that had nothing in it when tranny was removed (it is not for 4wd stick as it attaches on left side by linkage). Dealer told me it was a vent that has 3 or 4 pieces to it and naturally don't make it anymore. Morris 4x4 hasn't a clue!! Got new seals thinking leak was from that, but after looking closer it appears to me it's got to be coming from (blowing out of) this unk. 1" hole. Can anyone help me decipher this and then tell me exactly what parts I need and where to get them? I've spent hrs. searching for diagram and no luck. I'm trying add pic as well but not good at all w/PC's. Says pic file too big- no idea how to make it smaller but will keep trying.

Last edited by Rockrider1; 05-06-2014 at 01:08 PM..
Rockrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Go thru this thread, there may be some photos in here that show what you are trying to describe. I'd look thru it myself and tell you what post to go to, but I am firewalled from the photos at work and can't do it.
I don't recall anyone describing this before, and don't have a BA laying around to look at .

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Need the pic, but the oil fill hole is on the right side of that tranny, approximately where you describe. And it is roughly a 1" diameter.

To post your pic, it is best if you upload them to a sharing service like Photobucket or, my favorite, is Picasaweb. Then link to them.

More info and a few pics here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-652142/

Rereading your description, it does sound like the vent hole. Which is in the top next to the shift tower.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
Rockrider1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry to be so stupid but I went to picasaweb as suggested, joined, but I still don't have a clue how to do or link pics. SORRY!! Best I can do is I found an old post here with a pic. It was originally posted by mracko on 11/7/07 at 2:46 am, and thread is titled - From which hole do I fill a BA 10/5 transmission?

If u enlarge the first pic he has, the hole I'm referring to is on top and beside the shift tower, directly in line and above the fill hole on the side. Pic gets real grainy when enlarging, but u can see the hole. Something has to go in there I think to keep fluid inside. Just don't know what all it is or called etc. just need to know what I should be searching for. Thanks!
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Rockrider1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The hole is at about 2:00 position from the stick and shift tower if ur sitting correctly in drivers seat looking downward. It has a small notch in it also and some sort of ridge down inside it as if to grab onto a plug or something when inserted into hole.
Unread 05-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

He means THIS thread.

Of course, I'm firewalled still and can't see the pic. Posting up photos, use a free online photo hosting site, then copy/paste the IMG codes into the text of your message. I use Photobucket which is very easy to use. I'm not sure about Picase, or Imgur etc.

Looking at online BA10/5 images on the innerweb I can't really see what you are describing. Really need some photos from you for this one.

Googling up some images, it appears HERE that a vent hose comes out of this hole you are describing. Likely there is a fitting that snaps into there, and has a barb adapter that a hose sleeves onto. This may be something you end up fabricating unless you take a good look back under your Jeep and see if it isn't dangling on the end of a hose there that you didn't notice.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Rockrider1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks.

Last edited by Rockrider1; 05-06-2014 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Stupidity
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

dude, you just put your cell number on the World Wide Web
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, so long as everyone honors the time zone differences.....no worries. Remember that nothing is private any more in regards to phone numbers; anyone with a land line is in the phone book available to anyone and everyone who takes the time to look up the number.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
Rockrider1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/LD...bile%20Uploads
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Select upload, chose photos from where you store you photos, and put them in the album. Then post up IMG code of the photos.

like this:

Pretty sure that is where a component of some type goes in there and the vent hose connects to that. Not sure what it is called or where to get it but I've looked at a few sites and have not seen that component listed.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
Rockrider1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/LD...ploads/2014-04

I'll try again, but that's the hole at top of pic I'm talking about.
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, looks like a good photo. I'd bet some of the folks here that have done the same swap as you or grenaded a few BAs may have the part you need laying around gathering dust in their garages.

Anyone got one of those parts laying around?????? Jeeper needs some help.....

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Rockrider1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hope so. I'm wondering if I can't just use some type rubber plug maybe with a vacuum hose in it to plug it, or do you think the pressure will just blow it out? Just thinking out loud if no one responds.
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #15
Rockrider1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Regardless, can't tell you how much I appreciate you with me on this!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.