Need Help with full door latch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Help with full door latch

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 10-13-2004, 07:09 AM   #1
MainstreamJeep

Need Help with full door latch

Hi everyone, ok so I just bought a 88 YJ with both full and half doors. I took the half doors off and put the full doors on - no problem there. Passenger side door catch was sticking so I sprayed it with some Sray Lube - works fine. Drivers side door was working fine till I got in and closed the door, then guess what it didn't wanna open (from the inside or the outside). I pulled the door panel off and took a look and it seems that a piece of the mechanism broke and was replaced with a piece of copper wire. I tried pulling the latch with my hands and got the door open once, I then tried it again and still can't get it open. Any suggestions on how to open the door again and where I can get this door mechanism. Also is it real hard to change? I'm pretty handy and do most of the work on my cars myself, but I'm not sure about this one.

Thanks!

MainstreamJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
MainstreamJeep

Any one know?
Unread 10-13-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would consult a manual or hit the local Jeep dealer and see if they will give you a print out of the exploded view for the door latch, then pull the door panel and the cover plate off of the door and refering to the exploded view see if you can tell what you are up against as well as what part may have actually broke.

I know there is not a ton of working room in there as I just recently purchased a set of 88 doors for my 95 to get thru the winter and I am replacing the door locks with new re-keyed door locks and cylinders.

My passanger side latch is starting to hang I just plan on cleaning it and re-lubing.

Good luck with it, and I hope you get it fixed, happy Jeeping.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
Irish Rogue

I had that problem with my 92YJ full doors. It turned out that a thin connecting rod was bent. I fixed it temporarily by carefully straightening it with a set of pliers. I didn't have access to a local dealer and my manuals were not in yet.

I surfed to a used jeep parts website, posted a description of the part and got an email from a vendor who shipped me a replacement part that worked for less then $15 including postage.

If you don't have your factory service manuals, you can take a picture of the opened up latch assembly to the dealer parts department and compare it to the diagrams they have. They should be helpful in determining the missing, bent, broken part.

I hope this helps.
Irish Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
MainstreamJeep

Thanks! I hope it helps also!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.