Need help with fuel tank removal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with fuel tank removal?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
nickstix
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Need help with fuel tank removal?

So recently I had a small problem and my fuel tank began leaking from a crack in it. I ordered a new fuel tank and its here at my house. I went outside today to start takeing off the old fuel tank and am alittle confused..

When im takeing the fuel tank off, do i unbolt the tank and drop it in order to get to the hoses that need to be disconnected? Or am i supposed to disconnect everything first and then un bolt it and drop it?

Because i was looking and i cant see how i will be able to get to the hoses with it still attached to the jeep...

I did a search and couldnt find any writeups on this, does anyone know of a writeup? or have any pictures to help me out?

nickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Where Ru in NY I am in Amsterdam, Approx. 30 mile west of Albany. I have dropped mine it is much easier with help. You need to place a Jack under the tank. Remove the 4 screws that hold the filler neck to the body. Lower the tank just low enough to get to the hoses on the top of the tank and the wires for the sending unit. If it is FI you will need to disconnect the wires for the in tank fuel pump as well. It is best to do while you are on "E" as the tank will weigh less. If you are close to me I would be more that happy to give you a hand.
mark12010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
mjmangus
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I dropped mine I disconnected the fuel filler and vent line from the filler neck. I then lowered the tank and was able to disconnect everything else. You might want to label the fuel supply, return, and various vacuum lines cuz many of these may look alike. It's really not that difficult. Good luck.
mjmangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
nickstix
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice, Im currently waiting for my friend to make his way over to my house to give me a hand. And the I already made sure the gas tank is empty.

Thanks for the offer Mark12010 but Im out on long island and thats a bit of a drive just to help with a gas tank.
nickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
mandng0
1979 CJ5 

1. Placed 2 center blocks under the gas tank laying longways parallel to the frame.
2. I placed a 12x24 piece of wood on top of the jack and raised it up to the tank to use as support when lowering.
3. Remove filler neck too so you dont bend it or break it off
3. Unbolted the bolts as instructed leaving the 2 strap bolts for last.
4. After everything is unbolted, simply lower the jack and the tank will sit right on the blocks.
5. I slid the blocks right out from under the jeep and placed them on a dolly.

There are some extra details in my build thread.. good luck, its a PITA
mandng0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.