Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

need help with frame rust

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  shinerm02 
#1 ·
i have a 93 yj and when i bought it i didnt know much about them now i know a lil more and i see i payed to much and i dont have very much money to fix it and now im trying to make the best with what i got i would like to see if any one live around Milwaukee please help

#3 ·
i have looked it up and i have priced it out but the thing is it seems like the only way to fix it is to weld and i cant do that so i would need some one to do it for me and it is the classic rust on this jeep its at the rear shackle mount on both sides

#5 ·
yea i have and some of the prices i think are a lil pricey a guy wants 500 per side not including materials so i was hoping that i can find some one on here that may live around here that could help or know of any other tricks that can make it last longer till i can get the money

#9 ·
hey i live near milwaukee...know a few guys with some welding skills but to tell you the truth, the rust will never be fixed...i suggest upgrading to a newer jeep like i did because my old YJ's frame cracked after just DD for a year after two rust "fixes"

i can help you out if you need it though... :cheers2:

#14 ·
it's not a public place but the guy does welding...for my jeep he welded up one whole side of the frame and put in a floorpan for 500 bucks...he would have to see what you want done. probably around 600ish from the problems you are describing.

also this guy is very good at what he does...he has been doing it for around 30 years and is the best out there and definitely a guy i would reccomend without any second thoughts.

#12 · (Edited)
I agree no real way to fix frame rust. But here's another idea. Might be a little long term though.

Jeep Wrangler YJ tub and frame

Or just do a search for Phoenix wrecking yards and buy the back end of a damage jeep frame. Then have that welded on to your frame. Much less fabrications and that means cheaper. Avoid body shops you need a welding shop, much cheaper.

If you have a garage to work in you could do all the removing of parts and frame cutting. Then just get a mobile welder to come to your place to weld it. Then put it back together yourself. But, WI in winter, damn, not a good project this time of year.

#19 ·
If the frame has more than just 1 or 2 areas that need minor repair, I wouldn't repair the frame without removing it first - it's a lot of "wrenching", but you'll end up with a much better job than you'd get by applying temporary "band-aids" with the frame in place. If you are unable to do the welding yourself (I wouldn't use frame-repairs as the place to learn how to weld), I would find a used frame in good shape, clean out the inside with a pressure washer, sand blast the outside & paint it with a good anti-rust paint, and then use a rust preventative oil (Ziebart & others have such a product that you can buy in quarts or gallons) on the inside - use this oil once per year on the frame as well as all the body cavities. You'll end up with a much better jeep in the end (for less cash too) than you will having someone weld a few patches over a "swiss cheese" frame.

#20 ·
Check Craigslist under auto services. With the economy so poor, their is a lot of skilled workers looking for extra work. You can either post looking for frame repair or call someone who has posted. You could probably find someone to work with you and you just pay them cash for their time worked.

#21 ·
yes, he always includes the material in his quotes...id say 600 but you have to show him the jeep or pix of the problem.

#22 ·
I had bad rust at the rear shackles and repaired them only to later find more rust near the front by the steering box. And who knows what weak rust spots that I did not find. I suggest if your going to keep the rig a long time to get a rust free frame. I wasted alot of time and money trying to fix a frame that I ended up getting rid of. Find a good frame and don't look back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.