need help with frame rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help with frame rust

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
maxumum2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

need help with frame rust

i have a 93 yj and when i bought it i didnt know much about them now i know a lil more and i see i payed to much and i dont have very much money to fix it and now im trying to make the best with what i got i would like to see if any one live around Milwaukee please help

maxumum2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

what is it that you need to know, and help with... have you done a search on issues about rust here. there are a ton of threads relating to rust and the at home remedies done, either market or aftermarket.
crzylgzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
maxumum2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i have looked it up and i have priced it out but the thing is it seems like the only way to fix it is to weld and i cant do that so i would need some one to do it for me and it is the classic rust on this jeep its at the rear shackle mount on both sides
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

ahhhh, yeah those are a serious pain in the canasta.. have you googled a body shop in your area. im sure if ya ask them, they might do it.
most repair shops carry torches and welding equiment for exhaust projects>
crzylgzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
maxumum2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yea i have and some of the prices i think are a lil pricey a guy wants 500 per side not including materials so i was hoping that i can find some one on here that may live around here that could help or know of any other tricks that can make it last longer till i can get the money
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
lonepunker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

500 per side!? ouch!!!!!
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
maxumum2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yea i dont want to pay that
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
RedTeej
2000 TJ Wrangler 

itshardtoreadyourpostwithnogrammarorpunctuationesp eciallywhenyoucanttellifitsactuallyaquestion
Unread 12-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxumum2 View Post
i have a 93 yj and when i bought it i didnt know much about them now i know a lil more and i see i payed to much and i dont have very much money to fix it and now im trying to make the best with what i got i would like to see if any one live around Milwaukee please help
hey i live near milwaukee...know a few guys with some welding skills but to tell you the truth, the rust will never be fixed...i suggest upgrading to a newer jeep like i did because my old YJ's frame cracked after just DD for a year after two rust "fixes"

i can help you out if you need it though...

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
maxumum2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

about how much do they charge
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
maxumum2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

also how good of a job do they do
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
Peter Nuss
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I agree no real way to fix frame rust. But here's another idea. Might be a little long term though.

Jeep Wrangler YJ tub and frame

Or just do a search for Phoenix wrecking yards and buy the back end of a damage jeep frame. Then have that welded on to your frame. Much less fabrications and that means cheaper. Avoid body shops you need a welding shop, much cheaper.

If you have a garage to work in you could do all the removing of parts and frame cutting. Then just get a mobile welder to come to your place to weld it. Then put it back together yourself. But, WI in winter, damn, not a good project this time of year.

Last edited by Peter Nuss; 12-09-2009 at 07:26 PM..
Peter Nuss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
itshardtoreadyourpostwithnogrammarorpunctuationesp eciallywhenyoucanttellifitsactuallyaquestion
haha, took me a second to read that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxumum2 View Post
about how much do they charge
it's not a public place but the guy does welding...for my jeep he welded up one whole side of the frame and put in a floorpan for 500 bucks...he would have to see what you want done. probably around 600ish from the problems you are describing.

also this guy is very good at what he does...he has been doing it for around 30 years and is the best out there and definitely a guy i would reccomend without any second thoughts.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
maxumum2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yea its not that bad yet. i just want to get it before a shackle breaks loose but you are saying 600 for both sides and would that include the materials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.