Need help on a few things. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help on a few things.

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
spoiler73
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Need help on a few things.

Hello all, My neighbor put in another motor and tranny for me in my jeep. I am having a few issues. First I cannot get the shift lever on the columnto align correctly. It shifts only 4 times from park to drive missing 1 and 2. If anyone can colaberate on that I would appreciate it. Second when he put the tranny on the transfer case he must not of put the seal in right. I have not put fluid in the transfer case yet but it is leaking transmission fluid. Is that right to do that or do I need to drop it and redo the seal? It is leaking where the rear drive shaft hooks to the transfer case.

spoiler73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about your automatic transmission shifter--there must be a way to adjust the linkage so you regain those gear selections.

However, to clear a few things up, the transmission is a separate sealed case, as well as the transfer case. Because you have an automatic transmission, both the tranny and transfer case take ATF (automatic transmission fluid) as their lubricant of choice, but neither of the case share fluid in any way. Otherwise, the slip yoke in the back of the transfer case is supposed to have ATF to keep it moving with the driveshaft. The busing inside the slip yoke cone has probably loosened up, or the slip yoke on the drive shaft has worn down enough to allow the oil to flow by slowly. It's probably worth taking the cone off the back of the transfer case and replacing the bushing and the seal to make sure it fits snug.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.