Need help with a few issues in 95 YJ Sahara - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with a few issues in 95 YJ Sahara

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 07-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need help with a few issues in 95 YJ Sahara

I have a 95 Sahara that has taken me a while to restore/rebuild back to a nice Jeep again. I have done 95% of the work myself with basic hand tools and alot of time. I still have a few issues that need to be worked out and I am kinda stumped some what. Background info on Jeep. 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L 5spd, 2.5" Skyjacker lift, 2" shackles (I know I am gonna hear about these. Trust me if I had the money to do something different I would. Possible Boomerang's coming), Track bars front and rear removed, sway bar with disconnects. Here are the issues and what I have done to solve them so far:

Wandering Jeep. Wander's alot going down the road. Roads are not the best as they are county roads mostly. I have changed the lower steering column bearing, steering shaft, gear box and have a drop pitman arm. Have new drag link tube, and the next thing is replacing all tie rod ends even though they feel good. I have the front and rear track bars removed which some people say makes it handle better? Also my steering does not return to center, which is probably cause of the castor change due to the shackles. I have checked with a tape measure on how to set toe on the YJ's and I am in tolerance. I guess I need some advice where to look next or ideas on what to do.

Smell of Oil or Exhaust not sure which yet. When I am going down the road and let off the gas I get a smell to me of oil burning. I have checked for oil leaks all over and can't find any. I have degreased my motor several times and it is still there. I thought maybe it could also be exhaust. I dont hear any leaks as it is not load but maybe. The jeep doesnt leak or burn oil so what am I looking for? Motor has 230,xxx miles on it and has the recommended oil pressure.

Any help would be great guys!

sconnell is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ur steering wander sounds like a bad PS pump to me. Either the pump gave up the proverbial ghost or ur alignment is off bad. If u look at the stickies on the top of the yj section, there is one that will show u how to set the Toe-in, this is the best form of alignment ur gona find. Try setting the tow in first, then swap out ur pump if the problem still exists. Pumps aren't very expensive either so it won't break ur bank getting it straightened out.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I saw the sticky and thats where I got the intsructions on how to set toe. I was within 1/16th front to back like it said to be so I was guessing that my alignment was ok. I will check again as you never know what can happen. Pump seems to work fine thought, no whining or anything.
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Wandering steering could be either ball joints or tie rod ends. You say they feel good, are they full of grease with very little if any play?
XJ93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes they are full of grease as I grease the jeep every 2 weeks or so. As far as play I dont get any up or down like you do when you check for bad ball joints, or side to side. They do however rotate clockwise and counterclockwise. Not sure if they are supposed to or not. I hope the ball joints are not bad, they may be more than I can handle.
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I threw my front track bar back on and checked everything over and made sure evrything was tight. Took it out for spin and what a difference. The jeep didn't wander or wanna head for one ditch then change its mind and head for the ditch on the other side. The steering is more responsive and acts like a regular vehicle again. After reading of how people removed their track bars and loved their jeeps and how they handled, I have to say for my jeep it needs to be on. What could the reason be that mine would handle better with it on? Kinda stumped, but as long as it handles good on the road I am pleased. My wife didn't like riding in the jeep let alone drive it the way it was. Now she would actually take it out for a ride. Still working on the odor though.
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Are your U-bolts nice and tight? The trac bar keeps the axle from moving side to side, so if that fixed your issue then you have some major movement in your suspension system.
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
stroked250
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnell View Post
Ok so I threw my front track bar back on and checked everything over and made sure evrything was tight. Took it out for spin and what a difference. The jeep didn't wander or wanna head for one ditch then change its mind and head for the ditch on the other side. The steering is more responsive and acts like a regular vehicle again. After reading of how people removed their track bars and loved their jeeps and how they handled, I have to say for my jeep it needs to be on. What could the reason be that mine would handle better with it on? Kinda stumped, but as long as it handles good on the road I am pleased. My wife didn't like riding in the jeep let alone drive it the way it was. Now she would actually take it out for a ride. Still working on the odor though.
All YJs benefit with the track bar on for street use, there is no question about it. I wouldn't run without the front track bar. People say it doesn't help on the YJ, that is not true! It always helps handling; especially in evasive maneuvers.

Even with the track bar, you must torque your front shackles properly, this is still play a large part in torque steer; if you encounter it.

There are many people who accept a "bumpy" ride in a YJ. I have seen several accounts where people remove their track bar then over-tighten their shackles to keep the axle better centered and steering tight. This results in a "bumpy" ride. A huge key on the YJ is to tighten things properly and keep the track bar for a street YJ. Will the ride be a cadillac, no, the wheelbase is short, but it shouldn't beat you to death either.
stroked250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Unless the axle has been shimmed or re-cambered, your 2" shackles have thrown your camber almost vertical
It contributes to the wandering issue
It's supposed to be (I think) about 3 deg
I had this same issue - changed out the 1" shackels I had for 5/8" and the problem all but vanished

Edit: they were 1-1/2" shackles i had

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I tried running without a front track bar and hated it so I put it back on. found that freeing up the stuck bushings improved the ride as much as removing it. and before some one posts that something is worn and that caused it, my leaf springs and shackles have new bushings and my TRE's and ball joints are good.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I did check my shackle bushings and re-torques them all to 45lbs. After that and putting the track bar on, the wandering has all but disappered. I do need to check my alignment and make sure i am still within the recommended distance as in the write up. I will keep plugging away till it gets sorted out. Thanks so far to all who have posted up.
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I spent some time going over my Jeep yesterday and still havent found anything real hardcore as to what the problem was other than the track bar being removed. Checked my u-bolts and they were torqued at over 65-75lbs, shackle bushings at 45lbs, ched all my tie rod ends and they seemed in real good shape. I haven't checked my caster yet s I don't have a tool to check it with, I am sure it is probably off being that I have lift shackles. I do think I found my oil smell. I see my output shaft on my transfer case is leaking and spraying on my muffler. Must be when I slow down the smell comes up in the cab. Time to pull the housing and replace the bushing and seal. Also removed the Z gate in my transfer case shifter plate and cut some rubber out to make my shifts into 2nd, 4th, and reverse smoother.
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Must be the "Jeep Thing" working here. I removed my trac bar several months ago and have had 0 issues like many, but I have read that plenty of people have to reinstall them. Luck of the draw I guess.
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
sconnell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thats what I think too. Oh well atleast it goes down the road straight and I am not picking foam out of my rear after every drive. Now I just have to get the steering wheel centered. Everytime I do it, I usually go a little too much so now I am gonna try small turns of the drag link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.