JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   need help with exterior Jeep cleaning (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/need-help-exterior-jeep-cleaning-7690/)

CJ327 04-15-2001 04:08 PM

need help with exterior Jeep cleaning

Hello,
I am a new comer to this message board. I have a problem with cleaning my Jeep. Everytime I try to clean it w/o going to a car wash it spots up horribly(elbow grease is used). It is a 93 black YJ. I dont remember the type of soap we used but we tried several non-cheapy types of car soap and it still spotted up. It is starting to bother me especially since it looks like crap when spotty and it has been awhile since it was last been waxed and I am not sure if I should wax it after I take to a car wash or good wash at home. Any help on the products to use or solving of my problems would be muchly appeciated. Also, What is a good product to clean black powder coated rims?
Thank You for your time
~Chris
P.S. -I hate to be a bother, but, What should I use to undercoat my Jeep? :( :(

FLHT_FXRS_YJ 04-15-2001 06:54 PM

Paint it any color except black, the worst color to try to keep clean. :D

Do you hand dry it? Try "The Absorber", it comes in a plastic tube that you store it in. Best thing I've ever used and I've had one for about 9 years. You can find it at Wal-mart or K-mart.

osburn 04-15-2001 10:13 PM

Probably hard water dude. Not much you can do about it except dry it while it's wet. Any areas that dry on their own will leave the spots you're talking about.

dartboy 04-17-2001 11:06 AM

Hey, I like to think of myself as a car cleaning expert. Not so much on my Jeep but my 74 Dart. Got to keep it spotless for the car shows. I do was the Jeep though. Anyway here my 2 cents worht. I have Hard water and I don't get spots. Hard water will spot your Jeep up if your not careful. I use Armoural car wash, the blue stuff. Don't use too much of it though only about a capfull to a big bucket of cold to luke warm water. Was your Jeep in the shade, so the sun doesn't dry it before you get a chance. Also dry you car in the shade. Keep the pars of the Jeep you haven't dried yet wet, espeacially the top and hood...all the flat spots, to prevent water spots. Use a good shamoi...no synthetic ones...just real leather or sheep skin. Hope it helps, have fun washing.

-------------------
Jason Duffy

90 YJ

JR 04-17-2001 02:54 PM

don't wash it lol. my yj is also black with the black hard top. I wash it here and there but have been known to drive the mud around for a good couple weeks before I wash it. But when I do I pull out the old pressure washer and after 20 min with no soap it's nice and shiny. just my 2 bits

JR 04-17-2001 02:54 PM

don't wash it lol. my yj is also black with the black hard top. I wash it here and there but have been known to drive the mud around for a good couple weeks before I wash it. But when I do I pull out the old pressure washer and after 20 min with no soap it's nice and shiny. just my 2 bits

osburn 04-17-2001 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dartboy:
Hey, I like to think of myself as a car cleaning expert.
Well Mr. Expert! ;) Not that I doubt you, just that I'm gonna put you on the spot here.

How the hell do you take care of a chamois? Mine never seem to last and get cruddy way too fast. Hell, they even get flakey. I know the damn things gotta last longer than they do for me.

dartboy 04-17-2001 10:02 PM

Well I geus I should expect some questions if I call myself an expert :D Basically there isn't much you can do to take care of a chamois. Just buy good ones. Somew come with instructions for care but that has never seemed to help me. The biggest killer is wringing them out. That wears them out faster than anything. Just squeeze them. I go through about 2 chamois a summer but I also wash 3 cars multiple times a week.(one of them, everytime I drive it.) Look for one that is natural sheepskin no synthetics and it should last for a while. Hope that qualifies for an expert's response ;)

Jason Duffy
90 YJ

osburn 04-18-2001 01:33 AM

Well I wring the **** out of them! I'll have to resist that from now on I guess.

sturgman 10-24-2001 10:36 PM

Hey guys, i have the solution to your chamois problem.Find your self a bottle to keep it in and ALWAYS store it wet.Hope this helps..

Atropine 10-25-2001 05:49 AM

I also have a black 93 YJ - and spotting problems. I used the absorber and it just seemed to move the water around. I switched to an auto wash and wax called Xymol that I use on the BMW and that seemed to correct the problem. No more spotting. Hey you got any pics of your jeep? you can see mine in the website in my signature its under car collection :)

OhYeah 10-25-2001 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sturgman:
Hey guys, i have the solution to your chamois problem.Find your self a bottle to keep it in and ALWAYS store it wet.Hope this helps..
I totally agree, the best way to keep them new is to keep them in a bucket of water all the time. I used to work in the car business and the detail guys kept a bucket of Chamois floating in water all year around.

The time now is 04:02 AM.