Need help with extended differential vent hoses - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with extended differential vent hoses

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 07-14-2001, 06:00 PM   #1
-D-

Need help with extended differential vent hoses

I heard that you shouldn't wade into water deeper than your hubs unless you extended your differential vent tubes. Since I have a mostly stock '95 YJ Rio Grande, I figured I'd probably want to extend them in case I ever decide to go swimming. After looking around my pumpkins I noticed that there was already a hose coming out from them. Since it's stock and I've never seen a differential vent host, I'm wondering if this is an already extended hose or something else.
Here are some pictures:

The hose comes out of the top right side of the front diff pumpkin and snakes around to near the radiator on the drivers side. It's the gray/white looking cap in the second picture (a little hard to recognize).
Is this standard for the '95 Rio Grande's or did the previous owner put them in? There is a similar one in the rear but I couldn't quite figure out where it went. Thanks.
-D-

-D- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2001, 11:18 PM   #2
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Those are factory diff vent hoses, and will do just fine on a stock rig.
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2001, 01:59 AM   #3
-D-

Cool. thanks for the help. Glad to know I won't drown my diffs when I go past a foot of water.
-D-
-D- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2001, 06:59 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can still suck water into your diff's .. very easy if you have leaky seals .. rule of thumb .. change the seals every two years for protection .. or whenever you see leaks happening (which ever comes first).

Change your diff fluid after every major dunking in the water (80 - 90 weight gear oil is recommended) to keep things clean. I just changed the diff fluids in my buddies axles yesterday .. they were dunked and the water in there was killer! The juice plopped out like chunky stew .. and there was some rusting already starting on the diff cover.

We cleaned the rust off using WD-40 and a wire brush attached to a drill.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2001, 08:36 PM   #5
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

NaeKid followed up on what I didn't... Good catch!
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.