Need help with error code 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with error code 22

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
jakedillard
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Need help with error code 22

I posted this problem a few weeks ago and haven't gotten a response, so I guess I'll try again.
I have a 1994 YJ w/ a 2.5l engine and keep getting a code 22 with the check engine light. I have replaced the temp sensor 2 times, checked the current in the plug with a multimeter (got 4.95v), checked the ohms on the sensor and it cycles between 867 and 975 (depending on when the thermostat opens and closes), and I have had the local schools auto shop hook into the computer and clear the code.
The jeep runs fine for about 30 mi. (Strait driving without many stops) and then the check engine light comes on, and the rpms hover around 1500 when I am stopped and have the clutch in. Everything else seems to be fine. What am I missing? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks

jakedillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

22 Coolant sensor signal out of range - May have been disconnected to set timing
Don't have the manual for this model but found these

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...s-fine-891576/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...73/index2.html

Hope this helps a little!!
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

which temp sensor did you change? The one on the t-stat or the one near the firewall in the head?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

We can get you going. The resistance is correct. The question is if it is the right temp sensor, the one nearest the tstat housing. If you did post back and we can go from there.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Code 22: Displays ECT SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO LOW. Condition is: Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor input less than minimum acceptable voltage.
ECT SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO LOW .................................. FC-13A

TEST FC-13A - ECT SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO LOW
NOTE: For connector terminal identification, see CONNECTOR
IDENTIFICATION at beginning of article. For wiring diagrams,
see L - WIRING DIAGRAMS article in the ENGINE PERFORMANCE
Section.
1) Using DRB-II, read Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor voltage. If voltage is less than .5 volt, go to step 4). If voltage is more than .5 volt, wiggle wiring harness from ECT sensor to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) while observing DRB-II. If voltage changes, repair wiring harness as necessary. Perform TEST VER-1.
2) If voltage does not change, condition required to set fault is not present at this time. ECT SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO LOW fault sets if ECT sensor signal circuit (Tan/Black wire) is less than .5 volt. Possible causes are: short to ground in ECT sensor signal circuit (Tan/Black wire) or ECT sensor shorted internally. Go to next
step.
3) Inspect all related wiring and connectors and repair as necessary. Perform TEST VER-1. If no problems were found with wiring
and connectors, see INACTIVE FAULT CONDITION. Perform TEST VER-2.
4) Disconnect ECT sensor connector. Using DRB-II, read ECT sensor voltage. If voltage is more than 4 volts, replace ECT sensor.
Perform TEST VER-1. If voltage is less than 4 volts, turn ignition off. Disconnect PCM connector.
5) Put DRB-II in ohmmeter mode. Using DRB-II, check resistance of ECT sensor connector, signal circuit (Tan/Black wire).
If resistance is more than 5 ohms, replace PCM. Perform TEST VER-1. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, repair short to ground in Tan/Black
wire. Perform TEST VER-1.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
jakedillard
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I changed both, but the one I am having trouble with is the one closest to the tstat housing. I got the first coolant sensor from Autozone, and after exchanging it twice, went to NAPA and picked one up from there. The one at the tstat housing has 2 contacts and the one against the firewall to the gauge has just one contact.
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So did you get it in? Disconnect the battery to clear codes and recheck.
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
jakedillard
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It has been a few weeks since I replaced the CTS, I have just been chasing other possible causes for the code. Funny thing though, went out and moved the jeep out of the garage this evening to get to something else, and the light did not come on. Maybe I'll take it in to work tomorrow to see if the code comes back.
Does the code normally go away without clearing it from the ECM?

Last edited by jakedillard; 11-06-2012 at 10:31 PM..
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It will clear after 50 key cycles or after a batttery reset. It will not always light the CEL. That is why I asked if you disconnected the battery to clear the fault and took it for a drive long enough to let it go into closed loop and see if the problem is solved.
Unread 11-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
jakedillard
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the responses. The last 2 times I was able to get the code to clear (had the high school auto shop hook it up to their computer to clear it), I took it out and after about 30 miles of continuous driving the light would come back on. This last time when the light came back on the engine stayed at around 1500 rpms when I would get to a stop and push in the clutch and took about 30-45 seconds to slowly drop down to the normal idle speed.
This last time I did nothing to clear the code and after sitting about a day the CEL wen't off on its own and hasn't come back on since (I have only driven it to work which is about 11 mi one way). I am just wondering if the problem has corrected itself or if the next time I take it out hunting or something the problem will return.
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check and clear the code using the key cycle method and disconnecting the battery. If the fault comes back your issue is still there.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
jakedillard
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Need help again.

Code 22 is back again. Jeep has been running fine for about 3 months and the last time we took it out, drove it all day and just before getting home the light came back on. This is getting frustrating. Went through all the checks again, ohms are correct and volts running around 4.95. Is it possible there is a short in the wire and this is what is causing the issue. Did the key cycle to get the code and then disconnected the battery and put positive to ground so as to drain the capacitor and light comes back on right at start-up. What else can I do here short of going through and replacing the plug and wiring? Thanks for all of the help.
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I sort of figured. It probably is wiring. First pull the connector on the ecu/ Check pin 21 and make sure it is not loose. Remove the backshell for the ecu connector and check it to make sure there is nothing shorting it out. If they look good after you inspected them them you can run a wire from the sensor signal directly to the ecu pin 21 black/red. Open it on both sides on the wire harness and leave a 2" pigtail in the harness and just attach a 18 or 20 guage wire directly beween the two sides.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.