Need Help Engine cutting out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Help Engine cutting out

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 11-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
meador36

Need Help Engine cutting out

I have a 94 4cyl. It has been cutting out while driving. Not in nutreal. It only does this once it is warm and not everytime. I have replaced plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc. I somewhat new to the jeep and was hoping someone could help.
Thanks

meador36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2004, 11:26 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meador36
I have a 94 4cyl. It has been cutting out while driving. Not in nutreal. It only does this once it is warm and not everytime. I have replaced plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc. I somewhat new to the jeep and was hoping someone could help.
Thanks
sounds like a classic CPS problem to me. crankshaft position sensor. they're a common problem. does it start right back up or do you need to let it cool off a bit first? also, try running the codes and seeing what that turns up. the procedure is in the FAQ

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2004, 06:42 AM   #3
meador36

Since it only does it under load it does not quit. If I stop there is no problem.
Unread 11-10-2004, 07:08 AM   #4
CAJUN_YJ

l

I had the same problem with my 4.0L, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail and that fixed the problem. $52.0 at AZ
CAJUN_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2004, 08:35 AM   #5
BamaJeeper

Have you checked the self-diagnostic computer codes?
Unread 11-10-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
meador36

I'm going to check fuel pressure tonight. There are no error codes coming from the Jeep.
Unread 11-10-2004, 09:07 PM   #7
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meador36
Since it only does it under load it does not quit. If I stop there is no problem.
well if this is the case then i doubt it's the CPS. when you said cutting out i figured it died instantly. this sounds more like a bogging/stuttering problem and without a code to go by then i would suspect fuel delievery as well. definitely check the fuel pressure next

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.