need help dropping gas tank - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help dropping gas tank

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #16
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptrmike View Post
man i spent the last two hours trying to drop this tank i feel like a monkey trying to pull a bannana peel over a water melon, i cant get the filler neck past the frame i tried dropping the pass side lower and the tank pushes the tail pipe against the spring and jams. i had way less grief regearing my axles,rebuilding the engine and trans. this might be an easy job with a 15 gal tank but theres just no room with a 20 it looks like im going to have to bolt every thing back up and start over removing the exhaust first this sucks
you can weld. cut it off and re-weld it when done

Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #17
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
you can weld. cut it off and re-weld it when done
Heh. Yeah I did the same thing. I took out the tailpipe totally and just put a short turn-out after the muffler, like only 4" long. Technically it counts as a tailpipe.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #18
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Its a jeep. you have to keep in mind the frame, tub, brackets, axle.... you can just cut off whatever is in your way.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i finally got it out, after removing the tail pipe it was a breeze, lots of room to put the new springs in after i por15 the frame. i notice a little rot where the body mounts go into the tub not to bad if i do it now . do i have to take out all the tub mount bolts to get it up high enough to weld in a new chanel i want to cut the rot right out and put new steel in
thanks mike
sptrmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.