need help dropping gas tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help dropping gas tank

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

need help dropping gas tank

i have a 89 yj with 20 gal poly tank, i have the electric diconected , the filler neck and vent from behind the gas cap disconected. i need to know how far i can drop everything to get at the feed and return line, also my haynes says there are vent lines on the side i cant find any. any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks mike

sptrmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
rustybeater
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I thoght that there was a vent line over ther by the filler neck that i removed I cant remember for sure and I just put a jack underneath the skid plate and dropped it down I want to say there is two nuts in the foward part and two in the aft part holding it up you can leave the gas tank straps on.
rustybeater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to drop mine all the way onto the ground with the feed lines hooked up. The vent lines were a bit short on the driver's side but that didn't matter - I just plugged it all back together when it was halfway up, going back in.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
xjwags8789

I would say just slowly lower it with a jack and if u see any potential problems with the lines getting kinked or breaking stop. Luckily on my xj the sending unit can be accessed without dropping the tank at all. Good luck.
xjwags8789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info guys, i'm heading back out to the garage now. one bolt in the front has to be cut to get the tank down, while looking at it last night thinking of a method that would not create any sparks i noticed that the tank overhangs the tailpipe. before i get to the point where the tank is half way out can someone tell me if i have to remove the exhaust to get this out. damn all i wanted to do was put my new bds springs in.
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptrmike View Post
damn all i wanted to do was put my new bds springs in.
then why are you dropping the tank, is there another reason? just use a sawzaw and cut the heads off the shackle bolts.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The exhaust should be far enough to the left there is no interference and there is more then enough vent line to drop it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I didnt even use a sawzall on my shackle bolts. You can wiggle the top bolt out without dropping the tank. Then put the new bolt in from the outside.
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
then why are you dropping the tank, is there another reason? just use a sawzaw and cut the heads off the shackle bolts.
X2.... if your putting new BDS springs on you will really need new shackles anyway such as MORE 5/8in Boomerangs to keep the military wrap from hitting the frame. New shackles generally come with new bolts, so make life easy and just cut the old stubborn ones (or that bolt with the tank in the way). OR even if you don't decide to get new shackles and you have to cut your old bolt, you can easily pick up new grade 8 nuts and bolts at Lowes or Home Depot.
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19OlllllllO41 View Post
X2.... if your putting new BDS springs on you will really need new shackles anyway such as MORE 5/8in Boomerangs to keep the military wrap from hitting the frame.
I ran BDS with stock shackles for 18months.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19OlllllllO41 View Post
X2.... if your putting new BDS springs on you will really need new shackles anyway such as MORE 5/8in Boomerangs to keep the military wrap from hitting the frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
I ran BDS with stock shackles for 18months.
OP, the 5/8" lift applies only to boomerangs or any other aftermarket shackle with a center pin or welded support member in the middle when using with a military wrap. I am using a set of 0 lift boomers that BrandonYJ cut for me several years ago with my BDS springs, but had to go without the center pin until I get some boomers with the 5/8" lift built in.

So yeah, use your stock shackles if you like, but if you use aftermarket shackles of any style with a center pin or whatever, make sure to get them with at least 5/8" lift added.
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
OP, the 5/8" lift applies only to boomerangs or any other aftermarket shackle with a center pin or welded support member in the middle when using with a military wrap. I am using a set of 0 lift boomers that BrandonYJ cut for me several years ago with my BDS springs, but had to go without the center pin until I get some boomers with the 5/8" lift built in.

So yeah, use your stock shackles if you like, but if you use aftermarket shackles of any style with a center pin or whatever, make sure to get them with at least 5/8" lift added.
This is true, I wasn't thinking it out fully there.....
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, no need to drop the tank for the springs (although for the record, once you have the filler and vent lines on the left side disconnected and the exhaust out of the way, the rest of the lines will travel all the way to the ground on stock suspension)

Just grab an open ended wrench and a deep socket on an impact wrench. You'll have to do a bit of wiggling, but you won't need to drop it to remove the bolt.

(Or just hack the sucker out)

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i should have mentioned before, when i bought my yj the po had just put a rough country 4" lift in ,no need to keep beating that horse, anyway i can get at all the bolts but when i was underneath i saw some rust on the cross members and a small hole on drivers side seat belt mount so i figured while i'm under there i'd drop the tank por15 the frame and weld in any patches needed iam on vacation for four more days so i'm trying to get the rig ready for the winter wheather. back out to the garage
Unread 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

man i spent the last two hours trying to drop this tank i feel like a monkey trying to pull a bannana peel over a water melon, i cant get the filler neck past the frame i tried dropping the pass side lower and the tank pushes the tail pipe against the spring and jams. i had way less grief regearing my axles,rebuilding the engine and trans. this might be an easy job with a 15 gal tank but theres just no room with a 20 it looks like im going to have to bolt every thing back up and start over removing the exhaust first this sucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.