Need help on decision to swap axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help on decision to swap axles

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
jerry81
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Need help on decision to swap axles

My current axles are 30/35 with 3.07 gears I believe. I have an 89 yj with the 4.2 engine and ax-15 tranny. I have 33" tires on and love them but I can't use fith gear anymore. Should I find a set of 4cyl axles to get the 4.10 gear ratio? Please advise.

jerry81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry81 View Post
My current axles are 30/35 with 3.07 gears I believe. I have an 89 yj with the 4.2 engine and ax-15 tranny. I have 33" tires on and love them but I can't use fith gear anymore. Should I find a set of 4cyl axles to get the 4.10 gear ratio? Please advise.
You should have 3.55 gears, not 3.07. The 3.07 is usually for the inline-6 automatics. 3.55 is usually for the inline-6 manuals, 3.73 (or whatever it is) is for auto inline-4's, and the 4.10's were used with the inline-4 manuals.

Now, I had 3.07's with a 4.0L and used 33" tires. When I swapped my Dana-35 to a Ford 8.8, I switched it from 3.07's to 4.10's. And I absolutely loved the transformation. It accelerated like an actual car and not like a '84 Corolla.

My advice: If you're going to regear, I would most certainly just replace your Dana 35 with a Ford 8.8. I bought mine for $250, I got the mounting hardware for another $150 or so, had it welded on and I couldn't be happier.

As for the front... if you plan on doing the regear yourself and have a full solid weekend to dedicate to regearing the front [as well as a lot of time to research, read, and research some more], then I say get the kit. They're about $250 bucks, and it comes with a new ring, a new pinion, new bearings and new shims.
However! YOU WILL NEED A NEW CARRIER! I can't stress this enough, as I forgot I needed one, and I ended up ****ing up my brand new gears.

The proper carrier is, I believe around $80 bucks. Now, you should most certainly check your areas junk yards for possible swaps out of manual inline-4's. Rather than regearing myself once more, I decided to get a whole axle for $400 dollars. It came with a spare set of brake calipers, spare axle shafts, spare knuckles, spare cover, etc. You end up getting a lot of things you can use later on (if you have the room and the desire to store them).

It also makes everything much easier. Where as before you had to set up everything, this is just drop your front springs, remove old axle, put in new axle. Fin.

That's just my $.02

Recap: My advice is to not touch the Dana 35, and to upgrade the rear to a Ford 8.8. (The Ford 8.8 is much stronger than the Dana 35, and even stronger than the Dana 44. The best matching Ford 8.8 is out of early 2000's Ford Explorers. Some even have LSDs.)
If you plan on doing the regear yourself, you can get a kit but remember to get a carrier that will fit the gears. If you want to, you can also replace the whole front axle and get spare parts.

If you plan on paying someone to regear, I've heard some people get quoted $1200 dollars. But I can't say for certain how much it is for someone to regear your axles.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You have 3.07. Swap to 4.10
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You could also look for a front Dana 30 from a 4 banger it should be a 4.10 only thing to watch for is the knuckles are different they changed in the 92 model I believe.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Every 6cyl manual I've owned had 3.07 stock gears. Like its been mentioned, best bet would be to go with 4.10s. I pulled a 4.10 D30 from a 4cyl, and I'm running a 4.10 8.8 in the rear.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
Every 6cyl manual I've owned had 3.07 stock gears. Like its been mentioned, best bet would be to go with 4.10s. I pulled a 4.10 D30 from a 4cyl, and I'm running a 4.10 8.8 in the rear.
x2

Much easier to swap in a 4 cyl axle than to regear your existing d30. Tons of info on 8.8 swaps on the forum.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The old fashioned carbed 4.2 turning 33" tires would only need 3.73 gears
I was told this long ago by a Jeep expert that had been around them all his life
I was talked into 4.10s when I finally did re-gear a couple of years ago
The 4.10s are nice (as I am running them now) but I rarely use 1st and wish I had a 6th gear for the highway
Since I already have my Jeep set up like this, I will be going 35s in the future

If the OP had a 4.0l, then yes - 410s are just fine

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.