Need help on bouncing with new lift on 94 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help on bouncing with new lift on 94 yj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
lifted94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Need help on bouncing with new lift on 94 yj

Just got a new 4 inch lift on 33x12.5r15 on my 94 yj and have been having problems with major bouncing, would like help on how to stop this bouncing.

lifted94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did you go with new shocks as well?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
lifted94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I have. 4 all new pro comp chocks
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of lift?
Did you remove the track bars?
Nothing is over torqued?
Proper bushing sleeves?
What kind of shocks?

It's a SWB, leaf sprung Jeep. It ain't no caddy!
But there are ways to make it ride pretty well. We just need more info. And pics. Pictures help a lot.

And welcome to JF!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
lifted94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes removed track bars, New bushings as well,everything is torqued correctly It's a trailmaster lift. Would it be the tire pressure and/or having the bolts on too tight?
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mount tires at the same time as lift? Tire pressure too high? 26-28 psi should be all you need.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
lifted94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Mount tires at the same time as lift? Tire pressure too high? 26-28 psi should be all you need.
I have the front at 40 and the back at 37. I think i should lower the psi probably
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
lifted94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

New tires with the 4 inch lift. 33s
img_20140101_215220.jpg  
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted94yj View Post
I have the front at 40 and the back at 37. I think i should lower the psi probably
Absolutely.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 01-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Define "bouncy" for me please. Example. Do you mean it bounces going over a bump in the road like worn out shocks. Just keeps bouncing up and down? Or is it more like when you hit a bump it feels like it's hitting to hard and trying to "bounce" from that?

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If it still feels bouncy, after you lower the PSI, I'd check the shackle bolts, was the Jeep on it's own weight when they were tightened?

Unread 01-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
lifted94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
Define "bouncy" for me please. Example. Do you mean it bounces going over a bump in the road like worn out shocks. Just keeps bouncing up and down? Or is it more like when you hit a bump it feels like it's hitting to hard and trying to "bounce" from that?
What i meam by boucy is that with my stock lift i didnt feel a bounce at all on the normal roads i took, but with the lift i feel every single bump in the road. The other day i took a couple friends for a ride in the jeep and it didnt bounce at all compared to as if i were in it.
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #13
lifted94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
If it still feels bouncy, after you lower the PSI, I'd check the shackle bolts, was the Jeep on it's own weight when they were tightened?
Im not sure, my mechanic did it. But i have my own jack stand so i can loosen them tomorrow and then lower it, and tighten them accordingly.
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Too much tire pressure made my YJ feel every crack in the road, lowered it to 26 (on 33x12.5's) and it made a world of difference. I used MORE 5/8" shackles, which improved the ride and the flex.

Unread 01-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #15
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted94yj View Post
What i meam by boucy is that with my stock lift i didnt feel a bounce at all on the normal roads i took, but with the lift i feel every single bump in the road. The other day i took a couple friends for a ride in the jeep and it didnt bounce at all compared to as if i were in it.
So it's more rougher ride than when it was stock?

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.