need help badly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help badly

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-22-2001, 09:27 PM   #1
JYRUS

need help badly

have a 95 yj 6 cyl. when ran hard it makes a burning smell. i have had a complete tune up, o2 sen. changed, and a new cat. converter. what could it be?

JYRUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2001, 09:54 PM   #2
RodeoRob

probably the new cat buring in... its not at all uncommon to have a 'unique' smell after installing a new exhaust component (header, cat, muffler).
-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2001, 09:48 AM   #3
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Do you have any oil leaks? I have had cars that the oil that has seeped out of the value covers and when they've been run hard, the oil starts to burn and smoke. Also, if the oil has been changed recently or oil added was it spilt on the exhaust or the engine?

Just a few possibilities.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2001, 05:58 PM   #4
JYRUS

no leaks anywhere. the car is as clean under and the paint. its not a cat. conv. smell. its a burning smell. its driving me crazy. i want to lift it lock it and gear it but if something is wrong with the engine i dont. it only has 65000 an it and was lady driven before i got it.
Unread 10-23-2001, 06:16 PM   #5
RodeoRob

well oil could be leaking onto the exhaust manifold from a valve cover or somethign and buring up before it ever hit the ground. have you inspected your engine compartment for leaks?
is your exhaust normal? is there anything coming out of it (ie, black, white, etc. smoke)?
-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
Unread 10-24-2001, 10:19 AM   #6
JYRUS

it doesnt smoke, leak or anything like that from anywhere, the only thing i get is black soot around the tail pipe.
Unread 10-24-2001, 09:12 PM   #7
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Take a look at the under side of your muffler. If there is a small leak from tranny seal or even grease from u-joints it can get thrown up on the under side of you muffler by the drive shaft.

I grease my u-joints about every 3 months. I get a nice burnt smell shortly after.
Unread 10-24-2001, 09:53 PM   #8
RodeoRob

So do you still have this smell? how long you had it? you notice it every time you drive? does your jeep having to be running for a while before you notice it?

If it was anything other than a leak, you would figure your exhaust would have burned it away by now?!

-Rob
Unread 10-26-2001, 10:20 AM   #9
jeepinkid

If you have a stick it could be your clutch. if so go easy on it. and the problem will stop. you are most likely on the clutch pedal to long
jeepinkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2001, 01:12 PM   #10
Willis91YJ

Hey bud,
Check for oil in the air filter, Maybe the lady ran it low on oil and you have a shot ring?
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.