Need help with axle swap and tire size!! - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-10-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
tristanmoore001

Need help with axle swap and tire size!!

Hello everyone I'm new to the forums and farely new to jeeps as well. I've had my jeep for a little over a year now and have broken a few things here and there while wheeling and upgraded accordingly.

Right now my jeep has a 3.5in fabtech lift kit with revolver shackles front and rear for what comes out to be about 4.5-5in of lift total. i am running 35x12.5 BFG muds with 1.5in spacers on a stock front dana 30 open diff and a rear ford 8.8 (drum brakes) with an aussie lunchbox locker. I also have a CV chromoly rear driveshaft.

I plan on going with a full width dana 60 up front and a full width dana 60 or 70 or 80 or GM 14 bolt in the rear. Basically whichever makes the most sense or is easiest to find. I also plan on going with the rockcrawler remote reservoir coilover conversion kit with a 3 linked front and 4 linked rear with 6in of lift.

My question for you guys is what are the biggest tires i can run with this full width set up without having to remove my 6in plastic bushwacker fender flares and without having to cut my fenders? I would love to run 40's but i'm almost certain those will not fit without cutting. Also, based off the tire size you guys suggest what would be the best axle option of the 3 mentioned earlier? I would love to hear from guys that have full width axles on their yj's and guys that are running 40's and pictures would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much guys!

Last edited by tristanmoore001; 10-11-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-11-2017, 09:08 AM
John82601
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's quite a suspension plan! Do a build thread and keep us posted. 6" of lift is 6" of lift, whether it be coil-overs/links or leaf springs. If you don't want to trim or remove the flares you're going to need a ton of lift to clear 40's. Going wider will keep the tires out of the links but not necessarily the fenders.

bruinjeeper likes this.

1995 YJ, 4cyl, auto, 4.88's
4" Susp, 1" BL TJ Flares
35" Cepeks on 15x10 Ultras
post #3 of 24 Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm suprised 35's are working without at least trimming the rears.

As to the question, dependent on your backspacing on the wheels you run, you may be able to go pretty big without cutting or no bigger than 35's. You need more info and IMHO shouldn't be trying to build around the use of the flares.
cyoos, NHfireLJ, DirtKar and 1 others like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
tristanmoore001

[quote=John82601;39059194]That's quite a suspension plan! Do a build thread and keep us posted. 6" of lift is 6" of lift, whether it be coil-overs/links or leaf springs. If you don't want to trim or remove the flares you're going to need a ton of lift to clear 40's. Going wider will keep the tires out of the links but not necessarily the fenders.

thanks the build wont be started for quite awhile, ive got a truck that needs some love first but when i get enough money to start going crazy on the jeep ill definitely make a thread. The rockcrawler kit i want comes with up to a 6'' lift so i figured might as well get the 6 while im at it. Im ok with not running 40's i just really like the look of full width axles and 40's. I just would like to know the biggest tire size i could go although i have read that quite a few guys say 37's are a must if running a GM 14 bolt because the differential is so big.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
tristanmoore001

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I'm suprised 35's are working without at least trimming the rears.

As to the question, dependent on your backspacing on the wheels you run, you may be able to go pretty big without cutting or no bigger than 35's. You need more info and IMHO shouldn't be trying to build around the use of the flares.
The 35's fit almost perfectly. with the spacers on i have no issues with clearance up front however in the back i do get a tiny bit of rubbing at full flex. I'm not so much basing the build off the fender flares but more so on not cutting into the sheet metal really. I'm not very good with a sawzall and i spent about $500 on the fender flares and love the look of them so i figured if im not willing to cut into the body ill keep the fenders on sense i like the way they look so much. About backspacing im a little confused on that i thought offset is what pushed the rims and tires farther out from where they bolt to the axle?
post #6 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 04:41 PM
jmart2119
One Nation, under God

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanmoore001 View Post
I just would like to know the biggest tire size i could go although i have read that quite a few guys say 37's are a must if running a GM 14 bolt because the differential is so big.
You will want a minimum 37 tire size with the 14B or else you will be dragging that diff across rocks. Look into the shave kit, it will help some but if you aren't going 37's or bigger I'd stay away from the 14 bolt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aug 2015 | YJOTM | Dec 2016
1989 YJ - 98 5.7L Vortec, 4L60E, NP241, D30+8.8, 5.13's, 35" ProComp MT2's
post #7 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
tristanmoore001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart2119 View Post
You will want a minimum 37 tire size with the 14B or else you will be dragging that diff across rocks. Look into the shave kit, it will help some but if you aren't going 37's or bigger I'd stay away from the 14 bolt.
Ive heard of the shave kit but it sounds like it'd be easier to go with a different rear end, any thought on a dana 60, or other?
post #8 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

My junk has a front 60 from an F350 & rear axle is a second generation full float 14B. Both are full width.

You wont get good/reasonable flex out of it with those flares & meats & 6" of lift. My guess is that with even 37's you'll have to set-up the bump stops so that you don't have much up-travel before the tires destroy the flares.

I have homebrew front tube fenders & if I'm running my 37's (I have 39's too) the front tires just barely clear.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 05:28 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hello everyone I'm new to the forums and farely new to jeeps as well.

I plan on going with a full width dana 60 up front and a full width dana 60 or 70 or 80 or GM 14 bolt in the rear. Basically whichever makes the most sense or is easiest to find. I also plan on going with the rockcrawler remote reservoir coilover conversion kit with a 3 linked front and 4 linked rear with 6in of lift.

My question for you guys is what are the biggest tires i can run with this full width set up without having to remove my 6in plastic bushwacker fender flares and without having to cut my fenders? I would love to run 40's but i'm almost certain those will not fit without cutting.
Well, if you're planning on doing all this you can't be that new to jeeps. lol.
I don't have what you're doing, but to do all that build with the suspension and all, I'd plan on going 39's or 40's and do some cutting in order to keep a low COG. Other wise, why go big if not going big meats, also? May as well make it Hammer ready!

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #10 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 05:34 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

semi-hijack...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
My junk has...
doesn't matter what is has if you don't use it...

Moab next spring... what say u?
bruinjeeper likes this.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #11 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
tristanmoore001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
My junk has a front 60 from an F350 & rear axle is a second generation full float 14B. Both are full width.

You wont get good/reasonable flex out of it with those flares & meats & 6" of lift. My guess is that with even 37's you'll have to set-up the bump stops so that you don't have much up-travel before the tires destroy the flares.

I have homebrew front tube fenders & if I'm running my 37's (I have 39's too) the front tires just barely clear.
so it sounds like theres no way around the cutting if i want bigger than 35's. How much clearance does your dana 60 have with 37's? do you think if i keep 35's and go with a full dana 60 in the rear ill have decent clearance?
post #12 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
tristanmoore001

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Well, if you're planning on doing all this you can't be that new to jeeps. lol.
I don't have what you're doing, but to do all that build with the suspension and all, I'd plan on going 39's or 40's and do some cutting in order to keep a low COG. Other wise, why go big if not going big meats, also? May as well make it Hammer ready!
I definitely agree with you its just so hard to do the mods i want but also keep the look i like

Also ive only had my jeep for a year and a half and im just 18 so i would consider myself pretty wet behind the ears. I just read on forums a lot after i break every drivetrain component under my rig haha
post #13 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 07:21 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I definitely agree with you its just so hard to do the mods i want but also keep the look i like
As far as I'm concerned, YJ looks best on 31" BF Goodrich A/T with white lettering facing out.

But bigger more modern tires are better offroad, of course
post #14 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
tristanmoore001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, YJ looks best on 31" BF Goodrich A/T with white lettering facing out.

But bigger more modern tires are better offroad, of course
To each his own. I want to be rolling on monster BFG KM2's because i wanna rock crawl me jeep and you need decent clearance for that. It wouldnt make sense to put those tires on a daily driver so application is really what matters!

Although no offense friend, but white letters facing out doesnt look good on any jeep
post #15 of 24 Old 10-12-2017, 08:25 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Although no offense friend, but white letters facing out doesnt look good on any jeep
That's because you're young. The letters out BFG A/T were the period correct tires for the vehicle. It was just the fashion in offroad int he late 80's and early 90's.

I bet it grows on you!! One day you'll be driving your YJ and you'll run into some other YJs and you'll be like "DYAAAMN, Gonna need some letters out"
cyoos, ssyj94 and bruinjeeper like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.