Need help ASAP!!! Unknown problem?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help ASAP!!! Unknown problem??

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
aolitesnsirens
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Need help ASAP!!! Unknown problem??

I have a 1987 Jeep YJ 2.5l 4 cyl. manual trans. The other day I was driving on the freeway doing about 70 mph when all of the sudden my Jeep just stopped running. The RPM's went from approx 3000 to 0. Luckily, I was able to get it to the side of the road without being hit. I tried to restart the vehicle, but with no luck. After having it towed to my house, I began to seek out the problem the next day. I've done some research and traced the Auto shutdown relay. I've replaced both of them along with the ignition switch under the steering column. No luck. I dropped the fuel tank and pulled out the fuel pump. Then connected it to a 12v battery. Fuel pump works fine. However there is no power to the pump when the key is in the ON or START position. Continuity from the relay to fuel pump is good. All fuses are good. I heard about a possible fusable link. I tried to track it down, but could not find anything. I'm at my whits end and don't know what else to do!! So I figured I'd try posting a thread on this site to see if there is anybody who might know something about this Jeep. It's hard to find a mechanic who knows something about these older Jeeps. Any HELP is apprecitated!!!

aolitesnsirens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check it for codes? I believe the 87 should have the same protocols for check engine light sequences as the later yj's.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

edit -nevermind... I got nothing

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Will it crank at all or not even try to start?

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
si-lo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Might be a dumb question but is your battery still charged? The only time I have ever had something like this was when my alternator went out. Other that I don't really know. Good luck.
si-lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
89yj2010
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My friend is having the same problem. The fuel pump works if you put a hot wire to it out of the tank but when its back in the tank and the key is on or whatever its not running.
89yj2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try jumping pins 30 to 87 and see if it runs then on the fuel pump relay.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 04:27 AM   #8
InEmberClad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Did you check it for codes? I believe the 87 should have the same protocols for check engine light sequences as the later yj's.
He's not going to have codes, all he's got is an Emissions Maintenance Timer that's going to light up every so often to remind him that he needs to unplug it and move on.

Have you ever poked around under your dash to see if any POs have made any changes? look for non factory splices or something. They may not have been done right, I had the same problem with my 89 and it ended up being a butt connector that just got jostled lose. Try tracing the wiring from the fuel pump all the way back to the fuse block and make sure everything in there is good.
InEmberClad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
aolitesnsirens
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've traced wires back to the fuse box and to the ASD relay next to the battery. Continuity is good. No signs of any loose wires under the dash. There is no Check Engine Light on this type of Jeep. I did find a small black box under the dash with wire plugs on both sides of it. I'm wondering if this is the ECM?? Or if this vehicle even has an ECM where is it?? Haven't tried jumping pins 30 and 87 yet. Will do that when I can. Does anyone know if there is a Mechanic who works on these old Jeeps in the Los Angeles area?? I'm just about done!!!
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the crank position sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
aolitesnsirens
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have not checked the CPS. What does that do?? I've been hearing a lot about it, but don't know what that does in relation to the electronics of the fuel pump...
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
aolitesnsirens
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
Have you checked the crank position sensor?
Have not checked the CPS. What does that do?? I've been hearing a lot about it, but don't know what that does in relation to the electronics of the fuel pump...
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It will not run if the CPS is bad. Controls timing and wont allow the engine to run. if its bad

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
aolitesnsirens
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
It will not run if the CPS is bad. Controls timing and wont allow the engine to run. if its bad
Will the CPS control the power to the fuel pump relay??
Unread 05-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Im not sure, but yeah i think so.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.