Need help ASAP Ahhhh so foot slipped off clutch and...!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help ASAP Ahhhh so foot slipped off clutch and...!!

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #16
alc60560
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If it was me, I would pop the cover and check the rear (as said hopefully just spiders). There is also a very high chance the main shaft in the t-case is broken. This has happened to me. It is not difficult at all to open it up and inspect. Good luck.

alc60560 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #17
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
And the staples are out. I had stacks of papers that needed them more.
Leave it to Anticanman.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you could drive it in 4wd without thumping and grinding I would suspect the transfer case. If you detonated the rear or parted a U joint you would know it every time you rolled.
Simple check would be the transfer case linkage, that pop could have been it slipping into transfer case neutral or between 4wH and 2wH. try to get it into 2wH jamming it way up. If the linkage is slipped it could be not going all the way in to gear.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

For it to be the transfercase the main shaft would have had to have broken on the rear axle side (back) behind the chain. If he was able to drive in 4wd then the main shaft and drive train are intact to the point he can achieve power to the front driveshaft. So his transfercase main shaft is broken behind the chain or his diff is toast. My money is on the diff or axle shaft(s).
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
Jorgenjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so rear shaft spins with engine running in neutral and when in gear a lot faster! so this would be the rear end then?
Jorgenjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgenjeep View Post
so rear shaft spins with engine running in neutral and when in gear a lot faster! so this would be the rear end then?
Yes.

Either you broke an axle shaft causing all power in the open diff to go to the side with the broken shaft.

Or

You broke your spider gears or stripped the pinion or ring gear.

If it is your axle shaft you must not have c-clips as you tire didn't walk out with half an axle shaft attached to it. I'm not certain offhand if YJs ever came with non c-clip rear axles...
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #22
Jorgenjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks any quick tips to check i did notice that u joints where in tack and pardon the ignorance but the axle shaft is after the transfer case correct where and what can i take off/down to inspect thanks in advance
Jorgenjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #23
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So you are saying that sitting still the rear drive shaft can still spin?
Then you must have snapped the pinion shaft, snapped an axle or somehow stripped every tooth off ot the ring or pinion (pretty unlikely). No matter what condition your transfer case is in the drive shaft shouldn't turn without moving the wheels.
Try jacking up the whole rear end with the transfer case in 4 L and the engine off. Then try to spin each wheel by hand while looking at the other and the drive shaft yoke. In 4L the mechanical advantage won't let you turn the shaft at all, If an axle is broken you should feel some grinding and little resistance with the other wheel not/barely moving. Even with an open differential if the rear is in good shape both wheels will move when you spin one, with a locker/LS they will turn in the same direction, in an open diff they will spin in opposite directions.

You need more diagnosis to see what it's going to cost.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Time for an 8.8 swap.
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #25
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Yes.

If it is your axle shaft you must not have c-clips as you tire didn't walk out with half an axle shaft attached to it. I'm not certain offhand if YJs ever came with non c-clip rear axles...
Up through mid-90, I believe. Since his a 1990, it's possible he might have either one.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clutch , linkage , trans , transfer case shifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.