Need help ASAP Ahhhh so foot slipped off clutch and...!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help ASAP Ahhhh so foot slipped off clutch and...!!

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Jorgenjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Need help ASAP Ahhhh so foot slipped off clutch and...!!

long story short but was pulled over, motor running, parking break on, and in neutral.

was distracted with person pulled over also and put into 1st gear engaged clutch quickly remembered parking break was on as I was in a rush to release the break at the same time looking for p.b. handle didnt realize that foot was giving gas as well. So all at the same time Engine is reved still in 1st gear I let off the clutch quickly (as I said distracted with the situation at hand) never was able to release parking break as I hear a loud pop and didnt lunge forward and stall as if it was the first time you slip a clutch but will not shift into any gear. feels like its just in (N) i mean I know something broke but was not drive shaft or u joint or bolt was able to put in 4HI to get home but Shoot me straight whats best worst case scenario and ball park work to get fixed. Thanks in advance and sooner the better.

Linkage?
Trans?
Trans case?
Clutch

Jorgenjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Red93yj
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like you messed up you transfer case.
Red93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check your rear axle.

I added some studded pedal cover thing to keep my foot from slipping off the clutch. I can send pics if you're interested in not breaking stuff again.
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Check your rear axle.

I added some studded pedal cover thing to keep my foot from slipping off the clutch. I can send pics if you're interested in not breaking stuff again.
I would be interested in some pics.
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have someone check to see if the rear driveline is spinning when you are in 2wd. I would guess your rear end is toast.
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Jorgenjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the reply's stenyeart thats what my initial thoughts were but now thinking about it and it may not matter but that loud pop sounded right under me which makes me feel that its the transfer like red93 and if it is would that needed to be replaced or just a linkage type resolution.. thoughts anyone
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Since you we're able to drive in 4wd it will either be the rear end or internal transfer case damage.

First thing I would do is check that rear driveline like I mentioned above. If it is spinning, it's the rear end. If not, it's the transfer case.

Let us know what you find and we can give help you out.
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
I would be interested in some pics.
Basically bought some cheapies at autozone and bolted two of them together to sandwich the pedal. It has properties to lessen the stroke of the pedal and if you remove the black things it will bite into even the muddiest boot.

I did it because my ankle isn't the strongest

Unread 11-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

That doesn't look right. I like all the staples holding your leg together.

Can you even move your ankle?
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenyeart View Post
That doesn't look right. I like all the staples holding your leg together.

Can you even move your ankle?
After the lower screw was removed I had limited movement, hence the need for a solution to my foot slipping off the clutch. And the staples are out. I had stacks of papers that needed them more.
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
Jorgenjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks will be on it in the a.m or well when the sun comes up as far as you saying have someone look when in 2wd ill be solo when checking any thoughts I mean its not going into gear unless in 4wd so if i put back to 2wd hop out and take a look ????and thanks for the pics above but this really wasnt to much of a slip as opposed to big distraction and faulty parking break handle that makes me jig it around and put pressure before release so I really should have not had in gear and was not hearing me hitting the gas with right foot at the same time messing with break then went to jump out to pull parking break manually and then BAM! complete dumb move on my end but yeah no grinding as i pushed to side of road to mess with some more and put in 4wd so was hoping for a linkage problem?? but will check like i said in about 6 hrs

basically rear end and transfer case is what I got so far??that could be the problem If anyone else feels like weighing in please do as im looking for the quickest fix possible haha and cheap is there any other kind!
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well you should stop thinking with your head in the clouds and come to reality.
It's a jeep.
You broke it.
Expect the worst.

Your first move could be to shift to 4wd and see if the jeep will move a couple inches. I would put the jeep in gear (2wd) and see if the rear driveshaft just spins under the power of the motor without propelling the jeep. That will narrow down a TC problem. Then crack the cover on the rear axle. You should expect to spend anywhere from $200-$2000 depending on your level of mechanical ability and the ability of available used parts in your neighborhood.
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
Jorgenjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

oh Im familiar with broke expect the worse but yes this happened tonight and drove home in 4wd so that works fine. have not put in 2wd and checked if rear drive shaft spins on own. Will be doing that in the morning but earlier was in 2wd could put in any gear just clutch felt like is was obsolete and was not engaging at all.

But if rear drive shaft does spin then?
If it doesnt spin then?
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

As the transfer case is still engaging the front driveshaft then there's a good chance it hasn't blown up. My guess is that the rear spiders blew or maybe the ring and pinion is toast. It is entirely possible that you broke a shaft which is a cheap fix comparitively. Just get underneath at your earliest convenience with the transmission in neutral and the parking brake on and try to spin the rear shaft by hand. The front will spin but that's to be expected. You have essentially a broken axle shaft up front when the jeep is not in 4wd under conventional circumstances. If the shaft spins its your rear end.

I've broken enough rear axles to know the symptoms.
Unread 11-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #15
Jorgenjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man will post reply when the sun comes up

Tags
clutch , linkage , trans , transfer case shifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.