need help with alt fuse issue plsss - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help with alt fuse issue plsss

CHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

need help with alt fuse issue plsss

93 wrangler 4.0
My alt went bad....so i went out and got a new one....still wont charge.....noticed the 50 amp alt fuse was blown....so i replaced it. the INSTANT i start the jeep....the fuse blows violently. And yes....i tried using a second alt as well....same issue. This is a dead short type of fuse blowing. Jeep runs fine....but if the charging system is hooked up....pow.
I see alot of threads about this online....is there a common prob or a bug i need to know about?
Im stuck !!!
i didnt go mudding or into water......was driving great yesterday.

mattsez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is this thing hooked up on the back of the alternator?
(Picture is sidewase)
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 02-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yes,,,,,2 very small contacts,,,,,and its grounded.....with a sep ground next to it....all tight.....not sure what it is.....but its there
Unread 02-26-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There are 2 fuses not 1. If one fuse is blown the load will take out the other. Check to make sure both are good. If they are both good then disconnect the alternator connector on the back but leave the battery cable connected and turn the key. If the fuse doesn't blow then the alternator they sold you is bad. It wouldn't be the first time.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

it was the second fuse. Entire load was going across one fuse and frying it. 2 new fuses installed at same time fixed her up.ty for your help guys.
Unread 02-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just an update....the back of the alt has a very thin tin cover. And it seems when i did my roll over in a field.....something dented in the side of the tin cover and it was arcing onto one of the coil contacts.....that is what blew one fuse.......
I tried replacing the one fuse.....but both were blown.
So to all that have alt fuse issues, and on line i saw alot.....replace BOTH at the same time with the new alt.
It looked like i was getting a good 100 amps threw one 50 amp fuse since the batt was low.....and you can imagine how the 1 fuse fared.
Very thankful for this forum. I have been wrenching on cars my entire life, but each type of car has its own unique features and issues.....and being able to talk to fellow jeep owners is invaluable to say the least.
If they dont find ya handsome....they should at least find ya handy!!!
Thanks again u jeepers you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.