need help/advice on gauges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help/advice on gauges

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
richtfan

need help/advice on gauges

My 1990 yj laredo has the gauge package in the little trim area above the radio, and gauges include ammeter, oil psi, fuel level, engine temp etc.

i had heard that jeep fuel gauges were notoriously inaccurate, and I bought a replacement autometer gauge to slip in. Got it late last week and found out that it will NOT just slip in to replace the original equipment gauge. I bought it from Quadratec, and they said it was a direct fit replacement. not the case.

it looks like all of the gauges are just part and parcel of this long printed circuit board. doesn't seem like any individual gauges can be removed and replaced.

other than getting a new circuit board, what are my realistic options?
i'd prefer not to have to buy a whole new set of gauges to replace all of them.

richtfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
rubisean
1990 YJ Wrangler 

you can fix it, i did a write up called "how i fixed all my gauges". search for it and it will explain exactly how to do it within a hour
rubisean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
rubisean
1990 YJ Wrangler 

how i fixed all my guages
ok here is how i made all my gauges work like new. (temp.,gas,clock, oil pressure, volts)
remove the gauge cluster, then remove the lugs that hold each gauge from the back of the housing. i used a small rotary tool with a small wire wheel attached, i then carefully cleaned the two posts of each lug(you will see what i mean once you remove the lugs). also clean any copper surface that the lug comes in contact with, for good measure go ahead and remove the bulbs and wire wheel the contact areas on the circuit board too. i promise once you take the cluster out this will all make sense. while you are at it replace all the 194 bulbs too, add dielectric grease to all electrical connections and also make sure you clean any corrosion from the main harness and where it connects to the gauge cluster.
one final tip, when you remove the small nut that holds the lug on the back of the gauge you may need a small flat screwdriver to gently pry the lug loose
rubisean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is a good writeup as well. Lots of pictures.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...er-how-991307/
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.