need help 95 yj altanater - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help 95 yj altanater

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 05-03-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
john2u

need help 95 yj altanater

1 have a 95 yj that i am giving to my son i bought it off ebay about 4 months ago after we got it one day it wouldnt start i took it to napa to get it checked the altanater had over charged and cooked the battery i put a new battery and altanater on it the new altanater was still over charging so i took it to a jeep dealer they said the comp was bad i had a new comp installed at the cost of nearly 700 dollars it charges at 12 volts my other jeep charges at 14 volts the manual said 11-15 was normal but it cranks slow i am afraid he will get stranded in it on a trail in telico whers there no cell phone service i was gonna put a new starter on it but the bolt heads are rounded off there was nothing wrong with the old altanater but i left the new one on anyway after spending about 1000 bucks on it i still dont trust it any suggestions ? ita a 4 cly auto so rolling it off is not aan opiton

Unread 05-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
CoolGuyDave
2002 WJ 

it may be bad wiring.... are you reading the 12v off the gauge? they arent very accurate.
get a voltmeter and figure out exactly how many volts its running at.
CoolGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
OhioYJ

From my FAQ: Testing Alternators.

Quote:
If you don’t have 14 volts, you need to check a few other things. Most all alternators have a wire harness going to them. One of these wires is for the field voltage, if you don’t get power to the field, your alternator won’t charge. On newer YJs and all TJs, the voltage regulator is controlled by the ECM. On these alternators there are two wires on the back, one constantly cycles between 10-12 volts to control the alternators output, while the other is a reference wire to tell the ECM how much power the alternator is putting out.
95 YJ: SOA, locked 44, locked 8.8, 37s, beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/aboutmel.html]My Build-Up Post[/URL] -- [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/kbl.html]SWB FAQ[/URL] -- Mike
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
john2u

alt output

thanks guys the gauge is reading wrong its putting out 14

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.