Need Help 350 TBI in a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Help 350 TBI in a YJ

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-18-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
88yjpos

Need Help 350 TBI in a YJ

I am getting ready to do a V8 swap in my YJ. I can do the mechanical stuff but am having a problem figuring out that i need to connect to the YJ electrical to make the 350 to run. I have the complete wiring harness from the 350 and i understand that it is just a few wires that need to come across to the jeep. I just do not know where to start. Do not think buying a new harness makes sense as I have what I need just need to figure out what wire to connect.

Please Help

350 tbi/th700r4/np231j (I hope)

88yjpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

find the power circuits from the TBI harness and wire them to an auxilliary fuse block. The wiring is the easy part.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
88yjpos

The guy that sold me the motor was kind enough to mark some power (hot) wires,starter wire,alternator wire,ignition wires, . I just can not figure out where these splice into the YJ harness......
88yjpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
monger

there really isn't alot of splicing, if I remember correctly you keep the factory alternator / battery /starter wires intact. the tbi harness is pretty self sufficient, hook up a couple hot and ignition hot for the most part....you will have to intercept your rpm signal for the ecu to know you are trying to start the vehicle. I used a Howell harness so it was all labeled nice, took less than an hour for all the wiring. it took me longer to remove all the factory jeep wiring I was no longer going to use. oh yeah, an HEI ignition will make the wiring easier as well.
monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The TBI ECM has a circuit that connects to the starter soleniod to tell the ECM that the vehicle is being started. Once the engine is running, the distributor provides an RPM signal to the ECM. his TBI motor already has HEI, the advance is controlled by the ECM.

What he needs to do is find a good wiring diagram for the donor vehicle - not this haynes/chilton stuff. After that, he needs to start from the ECM connectors and work his way out from there. Like you said there is not a lot of splicing, and he will re-use the current starter, coil power and alternator circuits.

The ECM needs a battery and ignition signal, the one wire that goes to the starter soleniod and a ground. The injectors each need an ignition circuit, as does the ALDL plug/check engine light. Once he has that, he just needs to plug everything in and go.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.