Need Help!! 1993 YJ will not fire up! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Help!! 1993 YJ will not fire up!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
ZerOc00l
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Need Help!! 1993 YJ will not fire up!

Hey there

I have been battling with my jeep now for 3 days
Doing as much research as I could to nail down the problem but nothing is going my way

Recently I changed out rear bearings and axel seals due to a leak in the rear driver tire
Also replaced rear brake system because it was leaking
Did a hardware kit, new lines, and brake pads for the drums
I also replaced the fuel filter, double checked to make sure it was put on properly, in facing gas tank, out facing the front
Did a 1200km road trip no problems at all
Seemed like I had everything fixed when this damn jeep quit starting on me

Here are symptoms and what I have done thus far
2 days before the jeep finally quit starting
I started noticing it was taking longer to start each day, I mean really cranking it for a good 10-12 seconds and she fired. But was starting up finally with some difficulty. Engine would almost want to stall but it did go. After that first start of the day, no problems starting afterwards

When it finally quit, it would crank, starter going, battery had good charge
Just wouldn't fire up. I started checking the spark plug wires. No spark or hardly any. Next I checked the wire coming from ignition coil to distributor for resistance.
I had no reading at all sometimes, then it would fire a reading of .3-.5 ohms and I would get a bit of a jolt. Haynes book says at least .97 OHMS.
So yesterday I replaced the ignition coil. I'm getting a good reading now at the spark plug wires but it still won't fire
I should note that starter is AC Delco. Distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires all replaced about 9-12 months ago.
I took out my old wires. Hooked them back up. Still won't fire up.
The other thing I have noticed is now, when I fire the jeep up. It almost wants to fire up but won't. You can hear the engine want to fire up but it won't go.
I can smell gas by the engine when I'm pumping the peddle to get it to go.
Checked fuse at the PDC, and under dash. No blown fuses
Not sure how to check relays.

I checked for codes yesterday as well
Got a code 12, code 33, code 41, code 51
I reset the computer today by pulling off positive cable for 20 minutes. Only have code 12 and 33 now
Jeep still won't fire up.

I have been reading my Haynes book like crazy and I'm headed back out to do more testing
Only thing I can think of is ignition module, PCM, and timing chain
All wires I have checked look in good shape and hooked up

So, now I'm turning to the forum for help as I'm to the point I have to go to a mechanic shop and let them fight with it
Anyone have some ideas or suggestions for what else I can try to narrow down the problem based on what I have been telling you??

Any help is appreciated as im ready to start pulling my hair out from the bs I've gone through.

Thanks everyone

ZerOc00l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
kelti819
1992 YJ Wrangler 

so you have spark and fuel and air.....thats what you need to start a motor...so now you need to verify that you did not bump something loose while working on it. also check the crank positon and cam postion sensors. one is on the trans, the other in the distributor. chances are that since you can pull codes it is not the computer, but a sensor. im sure Que will see this and chime in as to anything i may have missed
kelti819 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Xenephobe375
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry if missed something cuz I just skimmed over it all, but did you test the pressure at the fuel rail? Not sure of the exact psi but should be at least 35 psi. Mine was having problems starting as well, then it came to the point where it would start, if at all, and just stumble and stall. My guess would be the fuel pump went bad on yours as did on mine. Seems I caught mine before it totally went as it was still starting sometimes.

A no start can definitely be caused by a bad fuel pump.
Oh and when mine was going, I only had 14 psi.
Xenephobe375 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
ZerOc00l
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just checked at the back of the jeep to see if I can hear the fuel pump engaging and I can hear it
I'm headed to buy a pressure check tool for my vehicle right now. See what that turns up

I will check my sensors as well and get back to you guys
Can I check the timing chain somehow??
I was told to pull of distributor cap and turn it. See if the rotor turns?? That make sense at all??
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You have a good spark and air then I think fuel pressure (or delivery) is the problem, also. That the problem has been developing over several days makes me think that. Could be the fuel pressure regulator.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

Last time my YJ wouldn't start it was the coil.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
ZerOc00l
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well
Store didn't have any fuel pressure testers in stock till tomorrow morning
So, im going to keep testing electrical here
I'm guessing to check fuel pressure regulator, fuel tank has to be dropped??
Nevermind that question, just checked my Haynes/Chilton book to see it's in the throttle body assembly
I'm guessing though no ordinary tools can test that?
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
alilredjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Have you searched for "ecu capacitor"?
Theres a big write up somewhere on JF and IIRC the symptoms are similiar to yours.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #92

'92 WRANGLER, 2.5 Litre, 5 Speed, Rag Top, Superwinch LP8500, Cepek 130W Driving Lights, 31x10.50/AT with no lift, Of course! It rubs!
alilredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can spray some starting fluid into the throttlebody to see if it cranks. If it does then its a fuel issue. You check fuel pressure at the fuel rail in the front by the throttlebody(Youtube has some general videos on how). If you see the CEL then the Capacitor should be good.
x2 with a probable fuel issue.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
ZerOc00l
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well it was getting dark around here and saw a bunch of sparks shooting out by the starter when me and buddy were cranking it over
I'm pretty sure that isn't normal
Anyone have an opinion on that??
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Your codes give you a starting ground to check the problem out.

Look them up here if you don't know how to do it.

Cherokee Engine Diagnostic codes

88 Start of test (This only appears on DRBII, it's not blinked out)

11 No ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad hall effect) OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; or intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor

12 Memory Standby power lost (Batt or computer recently disconnected)

13 No change in MAP from start to run

14 MAP sensor circuit open or shorted; voltage too low

15 No speed/distance sensor signal

16 Loss of battery voltage detected with engine running

17 Engine stays cold too long (bad thermostat)

21 Oxygen sensor signal out of range, possibly shorted

22 Coolant sensor signal out of range (or disconnected to set timing)

23 Intake air temperature signal out of range

24 Throttle position circuit out of range

25 Automatic Idle Speed (AIS) motor driver circuit shorted or target idle not reached, vacuum leak found

26 Peak injector circuit voltage has not been reached

27 Logic module fuel circuit internal problem or TBI injector does not respond properly to control signal

31 Evaporator Purge solenoid circuit open or shorted or Evaporator solenoid circuit

32 EGR system failure or Power loss lamp open or shorted

33 Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted ( Also will show up for rigs without AC)

34 Speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits open or shorted

35 Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted

36 Wastegate control circuit open or shorted

37 Shift indicator light failure, 5-speed (blown bulb) OR Park/neutral switch failure OR Torque converter unlock circuit open or shorted, A-413 4-speed auto

41 Alternator field control circuit open or shorted

42 Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted

42 Fuel pump relay control circuit

42 Fuel level unit - no change over miles OR Z1 voltage missing when auto shut-down circuit energized

43 Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time OR Cylinder misfire

43 Problem in power module to logic module interface

44 No FJ2 voltage present at logic board OR Logic module self-diagnostics indicate problem OR Battery temperature out of range

45 Turbo boost limit exceeded (engine was shut down by logic module)

46 Battery voltage too high during charging or charging system voltage too low

47 Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low

51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

52 Oxygen sensor stuck at rich position OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

53 Logic module internal problem

54 No sync pickup signal during engine rotation (turbo only) OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

55 55 End of codes

61 "Baro" sensor open or shorted

62 EMR mileage cannot be stored in EEPROM

62 PCM failure SRI mile not stored

63 Controller cannot write to EEPROM

64 Catalytic converter efficiency failure

65 Power steering switch failure
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sparks from the starter.....not good. You need to get underneath it and see whats up. Probably loose wires arcing.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have you done a compression test? Air,fuel and spark aren't enough.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

an easy way to check the fuel pump is to turn the key on for a few seconds then off for a few seconds, do that 4 or 5 times and then try to start it. by cycling the key on and off your building the fuel pressure up. if it fires up then dies your fuel pump isnt putting out the psi your motor needs
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
ReMike
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would also check the Crank Position Sensor.. i fought with my jeep about a week ago and notice my starter was starting to smoke.. was under warranty so i went and got another one..also picked up a CPS, put them on and it fired right up.
ReMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.