Need help with an 1988 YJ seat swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with an 1988 YJ seat swap

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
OrangeBeast
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Need help with an 1988 YJ seat swap

Hey, been reading the forums for the past few months and finally I had a reason to join in.
My passenger seat is shot (in my 1988 YJ) and I need to replace it. The original seats are not common around here and so I'd like to install one of the seats that the wiki lists as direct bolt ins... But it also says:

Quote:
AS OF RIGHT NOW, I AM WORKING OUT A THEORY THAT THE '87-'90 YJ SEAT RISERS AND SLIDERS DO NOT DIRECT BOLT TO THESE SEATS. ONLY '91-'95 YJS WORK WITH THE SWAPS. I WILL ADD MORE LATER WHEN I FIGURE OUT EXACTLY WHAT THE ISSUE IS. I AM SORRY IF OTHERS PREVIOUSLY HAVE HAD BAD LUCK GETTING THESE TO WORK.
Is this true? any of you other 87-90 YJ owners ever done a direct bolt in? If so could you list what ones fit. Also do the cav seats really push up to the steering wheel? Those are the ones I'd like to put in... and would I need to mod my center console (to get everything to fit)?

Any help would be nice... Thanks in advanced

-OrangeBeast

P.S: If you see this same post on another jeep forum sorry about that haha... I was on another website and I thought I was on this one......

OrangeBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
yjmoose
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I bolted a pair of pontiac seats into my jeep out of a 2 door sunfire. They where not direct bolt in, I had to make an adapter out of angle Iron, it took about 5 minutes per seat to make the bracket. Basically you have to relocate either the front 2 or rear 2 mounting holes. It was REALLY easy, if you can use a hacksaw (or sawsall) and a drill, you should have no trouble.

It is by far the BEST upgrade I have done, and I wonder why I didn't do it sooner.
yjmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
OrangeBeast
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjmoose View Post
I bolted a pair of pontiac seats into my jeep out of a 2 door sunfire. They where not direct bolt in, I had to make an adapter out of angle Iron, it took about 5 minutes per seat to make the bracket. Basically you have to relocate either the front 2 or rear 2 mounting holes. It was REALLY easy, if you can use a hacksaw (or sawsall) and a drill, you should have no trouble.

It is by far the BEST upgrade I have done, and I wonder why I didn't do it sooner.
Hmmm, that doesn't sound bad... seems easy enough.... What year are the seats?
Thanks

If anyone else has a suggestion please post, thanks.
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did my 90 from same a coupe sunfire....

It was same, some angle iron is needed, why not flat steel....you will see why when you get them out and line it up, I was lucky and had a chunk laying around so all needed was cut to size but ya, not mcuh to it really......

like the other guy said took maybe 5 mins, took longer to find the damn piece of steel...

one thing of note, I used about 3-5 washers uner the REAR of each seat between the floor and the riser, the cavi seat slopes back alot, naturally it sits lower to the floor in the car so the slope is needed, the washers made it more comfy on the legs.

although to date the posi lok is the best upgrade I think the seat is a close second ****ing comfy as hell over stock

hjere copy and paste from another post

I made this thread on a buds forum...sorry jeepforum anyhow follow it it is a write up and pics showing hte bracket u need..bah here one sec..

there

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i couldn't find a set of jy seats with good backs (they all wobbled like a loose tooth). ended up finding some nice contour seats...after grinding the rivet off and removing the contour risers it was a direct bolt in
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/2...nstall-721365/
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBeast View Post
Hey, been reading the forums for the past few months and finally I had a reason to join in.
My passenger seat is shot (in my 1988 YJ) and I need to replace it. The original seats are not common around here and so I'd like to install one of the seats that the wiki lists as direct bolt ins... But it also says:

Is this true? any of you other 87-90 YJ owners ever done a direct bolt in? If so could you list what ones fit. Also do the cav seats really push up to the steering wheel? Those are the ones I'd like to put in... and would I need to mod my center console (to get everything to fit)?

Any help would be nice... Thanks in advanced

-OrangeBeast

P.S: If you see this same post on another jeep forum sorry about that haha... I was on another website and I thought I was on this one......
I think.....not sure....that there are two different style seats in the earlier YJ's that May or May not have a little different mounting holes. There are seats that flip all the way forward and seats that don't. My YJ had passenger and drivers seats that both flipped forward. Some YJ's may have just one seat that does this or may not have any.

Basically another handle you pull and the whole seat lifts and flips up onto the dash for access to the rear.

It is the design of the lower bracket (riser) that the seats/sliders mount to.

Hope this helps out.
Unread 01-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
OrangeBeast
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmud4x4 View Post
I think.....not sure....that there are two different style seats in the earlier YJ's that May or May not have a little different mounting holes. There are seats that flip all the way forward and seats that don't. My YJ had passenger and drivers seats that both flipped forward. Some YJ's may have just one seat that does this or may not have any.

Basically another handle you pull and the whole seat lifts and flips up onto the dash for access to the rear.

It is the design of the lower bracket (riser) that the seats/sliders mount to.

Hope this helps out.
My YJ also has both the driver and passenger seats that flip forward, would this mean I need the adapter? I'm leaning more towards the sunfire seats as yjmoose as suggested... now to find a salavage yard that has them...
Unread 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
I did my 90 from same a coupe sunfire....

It was same, some angle iron is needed, why not flat steel....you will see why when you get them out and line it up, I was lucky and had a chunk laying around so all needed was cut to size but ya, not mcuh to it really......

like the other guy said took maybe 5 mins, took longer to find the damn piece of steel...

one thing of note, I used about 3-5 washers uner the REAR of each seat between the floor and the riser, the cavi seat slopes back alot, naturally it sits lower to the floor in the car so the slope is needed, the washers made it more comfy on the legs.

although to date the posi lok is the best upgrade I think the seat is a close second ****ing comfy as hell over stock

hjere copy and paste from another post

I made this thread on a buds forum...sorry jeepforum anyhow follow it it is a write up and pics showing hte bracket u need..bah here one sec..

there
That's exactly what I had to do. I had a couple of chunks of 4x4x1/4 sitting around and used those. two bolts in the seat bracket then from the new metal to the seat riser. They tumble and slide back and forth just like stock. I moved mine a little off center towards the middle so there was room for the back to recline past the roll bar.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
yjmoose
1989 YJ Wrangler 

as far as finding seats, I searched craigslist for part out cars for a few weeks, found a really nice (i think 2005) pontiac that had been rear ended, it was at a body shop and being parted out. Made a deal with the guy, and got great seats that hadn't been sitting in a junkyard getting rained on and who knows what else on them. I paid $80 for them, and the car had less than 40k miles.
yjmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
OrangeBeast
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjmoose View Post
as far as finding seats, I searched craigslist for part out cars for a few weeks, found a really nice (i think 2005) pontiac that had been rear ended, it was at a body shop and being parted out. Made a deal with the guy, and got great seats that hadn't been sitting in a junkyard getting rained on and who knows what else on them. I paid $80 for them, and the car had less than 40k miles.
Good idea, found a Pontiac 1997 grand prix GT (this should work right?) that someone is parting out locally. Hopefully I can get them for 30-40...
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #11
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Who needs a stinken seat in a jeep, there's plenty of orange creates around hee hee!!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBeast View Post
My YJ also has both the driver and passenger seats that flip forward, would this mean I need the adapter? I'm leaning more towards the sunfire seats as yjmoose as suggested... now to find a salavage yard that has them...
I took out my seats and the sliders were welded to them by the previous owner so I measured everything.....mount bolt hole, seat width, thickness, depth...etc....went to a "pic-n-pull" junk yard with tools and measurements and tape measure and got some seats with sliders that were close, knowing I would fabricate plates/brackets myself. I got some 1996 Saturn seats and used them.

rustywrangler has been keeping track of seat swaps for YJ's and if you search the forum....you will find his list.

He also started a thread with member pics and swaps......my swap is in that thread...pics and all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.