Need Help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Help!!!

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Birddogg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Need Help!!!

Ok a little back story I've had my yj for 2.5 yrs and have not had any issues with it outside of a blown u joint and cracked t-case. Then on Tuesday 4/23 my yj dies on me at a gas station I had just drove it approx. 10 Miles from my Grandparents house to my house then 2 Miles to the gas station to get a pop. I shut it off and went inside with no issues I come back out and it starts hard and wont idle and dies when I give it gas.

I tow it home Replace the TPS and Crankshaft Position Sensor now it will idle all day but if I give it any gas it dies. I put a new fuel filter on thinking it might be pluged and it made no difference. Do I need a new fuel pump? I can hear the pump kick on for 3-5 sec. when I turn the Key on. Or is my problem some where else?

My jeep is a 1992 4.0 manual trans.

Birddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what is your fuel pressure?
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Birddogg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So I went to Autozone and Rented a tester and my fuel pressure during the prime cycle was 0, and the pressure at idle was 10 Psi.
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would get a different guage, it sounds like it is bad. 10 psi isn't enough to keep it running. That being said, the fact you didn't get the same number on both is indicating a pump problem. Prime and running you should have 31psi. I think you are looking at dropping the tank and doing a fuel pump.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogg View Post
... then 2 Miles to the gas station to get a pop.
I haven't heard it called 'pop' since my childhood in VA. >memories<
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Birddogg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks, any idea why it would go all at once like that. I thought that when a fuel pump goes it would act up for a little bit first.
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy816 View Post
I haven't heard it called 'pop' since my childhood in VA. >memories<
In Michigan it has always been called Pop.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is Pop all day long....

I would second check the reading but the test tell you what you need to know. If that pressure is low then there is no doubt your issue is fuel pump or the supply line. You can check the supply line for any kinks in it but unless you were out wheeling I dint think you leave any doubt. Check the guage on another any other car to see if the fuel presssure is good. If it is then I would drop the tank and also do the tank access mod. Post back with what you find out. Siva went through 3 guages trying to get one that works.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
Birddogg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.