Need help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help.

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 03-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
ssgyoung79
2011 WK 

Need help.

I have a Jeep that a friend gave me after a friend of his screwed him over on it. Needless to say this Jeep is missing a lot of major and minor parts. It is currently setting in my back yard and I'm not completely sure on what parts I can use on it. I'm looking for ideas of what parts can be used, especially with the Transfer. Most of the other items I have an idea of what can be used.

Transfer Case
Rear Axle
Both Bumpers
Clutch Resevoir
Fuel tank fill tube
Wheels and tires

ssgyoung79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry but I'm not sure what your asking, are you looking at parts from this Jeep to use on YOUR Jeep or??
Can you give us more details?
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
ssgyoung79
2011 WK 

The Jeep is a 94 YJ with that list of parts missing. I'm wondering what parts I can use to put it back together. The biggest one is the transfer, I'm not as familiar with what transfers can be used on it. I know I can use one from the same model but I'm sure that I can get one from other vehicles. I've been searching for Dana 44's to replace the one in the rear and possibly the one in the front if the money is right and they hav matching gear ratios, so that I don't have to invest money in gears before getting the other parts.
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Are you asking about the transfer case or the differentials? I am no Jeep expert by any means but your question is not making sense. The guys here are amazing with the knowledge they have but if you don't ask the proper question, you won't be able to get an answer. Post photos of what you have, post a list of what is not present and needs to be replaced. Try to be specific and your wish will be granted tenfold.
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
ssgyoung79
2011 WK 

I would like to know what transfers will work with my jeep since the original one was missing. I'm sure that their are several other vehicles that have transfers that will work with it.
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about the tcase?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you use an adapter, there are several Tcases that can be used.....you are limited by only by how much $ you want to spend & how much you want to change/fab to make it work. The driver's side pumpkin on the front axle limits choice, too.

If you are changing axles, your best course is to decide which ones (& what side they hookup at) and go from there.

You can get a Jeep NP231 for pretty cheap that will be a bolt in & work w/ your current driveshafts. Add an 8.8 ford rear & that's good thru 33inch tires at least.

Check your local 4x4 club for killer deals.
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can use a jeep Cherokee for parts to make the YJ go again, they pretty much swap. Using a cherokee is *way* cheaper and easier to find.

Obviously the body and frames are totally different. You do have to change the spring mounts on the axles tho cuz they're different. There is no such thing as an axle that will bolt into the YJ unless it comes from another YJ. The transfer cases are the same except for the number of splines on the input shaft - it depends on what size engine and which transmission they had. You could just swap internal parts or swap the entire unit. Clutch should be the same. Wheels and tires should be the same.

Most all of the mechanicals will swap from the cherokee to the YJ.
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
ssgyoung79
2011 WK 

Thanks for all the info.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.