Need Front differential help ASAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Front differential help ASAP

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Need Front differential help ASAP

I just bought this 95 Yj and the PO told me it had front and rear air lockers. Tho only problem is that the pump did not work.

I just pulled the front cover and except from the water that came out this is what I found. I do not know much yet about air lockers, but this does not look like one to me. Tell me what you know?

At this point I still have a chance to get my money back.

I just added two more pictures of the rear end. To me it looks toast, including the locker, if that is a locker? I thought air lockers had a tube that went from the air input on top of the diff to the locker. Both of these the air inlet plugs to the top of the diff and just blows air in. No tube to the locker.

img_0254.jpg   img_0255.jpg   img_0256.jpg   img_0259.jpg   img_0261.jpg  

Last edited by pasinbuy; 08-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Add pictures
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

That is definitly a locker in there. I am just not sure which one. How did water get in there?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Now I'm thoughly confused with those last two added pics??? Whatever it is... it does'nt look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Unless you bought it real cheap, take it back. You have some serious (and expensive) work waiting for you there.
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Freerider6_9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like an arb to me, the last two pics the pinion depth is set way to far in. Get them apart and either get someone who knows what they are doing to help you or get them done right, it is possible it's too late and the gears will make noise after though.
Freerider6_9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The last two pics are of the rear diff. It looks to me that he toasted it, and then tried to piece it together to sell to me???

The first three pics are of the front diff. The air inlet just blows air into the diff. There is not a air line that goes to the locker. I am thinking that the front locker is toast too. What do you think?
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That is quite possibly the worse mess of the century!

Yes, those are ARB's, but neither of them are hooked up and the one with the pinion teeth gouges is a complete piece of junk & worth zero - actually less than zero since its unsalvageable along with the broken teeth of the ring gear.

If you were giving either of them to me for 0.00$ I'd laugh in your face & tell you to pack sand. The second one is even worse than the first since its beyond repair.

Without the air fittings hooked up, they have been subjected to gear oil & contamination to the ARB internals & I'd bet they are a complete waste at this point.

Total & complete pieces of junk IMO.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I hope you have some extra funds, you have a butt ton of money to put into these diffs to make them right. This is why it is suggested to inspect before you buy, especially from a private seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Joe , Thank you. That is what I thought but I wanted a expert opinion.
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
pariah24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
That is quite possibly the worse mess of the century!

Yes, those are ARB's, but neither of them are hooked up and the one with the pinion teeth gouges is a complete piece of junk & worth zero - actually less than zero since its unsalvageable along with the broken teeth of the ring gear.

If you were giving either of them to me for 0.00$ I'd laugh in your face & tell you to pack sand. The second one is even worse than the first since its beyond repair.

Without the air fittings hooked up, they have been subjected to gear oil & contamination to the ARB internals & I'd bet they are a complete waste at this point.

Total & complete pieces of junk IMO.
Agreed. Toast. I don't know how much you paid for it but he either needs to cough up some funds or make it right.
pariah24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah24 View Post
Agreed. Toast. I don't know how much you paid for it but he either needs to cough up some funds or make it right.
In a perfect world I would agree, but since the seller already ripped off our fellow member here knowing damn well what he was doing I doubt he is going to pony up with any help. The biggest issue is it was bought used and no offense to the OP, but he should have inspected it better. I'll be the first to say that if I was going to purchase something with air lockers that didn't work I would be sure to pop those diff covers to inspect before I dished out the cash for the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
In a perfect world I would agree, but since the seller already ripped off our fellow member here knowing damn well what he was doing I doubt he is going to pony up with any help. The biggest issue is it was bought used and no offense to the OP, but he should have inspected it better. I'll be the first to say that if I was going to purchase something with air lockers that didn't work I would be sure to pop those diff covers to inspect before I dished out the cash for the Jeep.
QFT!!

This has happened to friends of mine. Always inspect before buying. When I sold my old axle, I already had the diff cover loose so the buyer could look at it. I hate it when guys sell junk!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
At this point I still have a chance to get my money back.
Do so QUICKLY!!! I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole..

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Junk in the rear and the front may not be too far from it. They may be lockers, but if they're not hooked up, they're open and useless as they are (were?). Git yer money back...

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. It looks like I am going to return it. Good thing I paid by a check on Saturday.

I have a problem with trusting others at their word. I asked this guy if the lockers worked and he told me yes. Now after looking and knowing, he states a little different. The check is what saved me, he is taking it back. I told him that even if I gave cash he would have to at least pay for the repair in court. To me this is just plain hiding the truth.

If you look at the rear end pics. The rear end blew up. So the guy bought a new gear, bolted it to the trashed locker. Then for good measure threw some metal chunks on the bottom. So that when I rode it, it would break on me and I would not know that it was bad before I broke it. Good thing I pulled the covers before I went out with it.

Also I found the transfer case was filled with thick gear oil. I think he was trying to hide some noise in the transfer case. I gave him the option to reduce the price and I will fix it, or give me my money back. He is giving me the money, actually I stopped payment on the check. He is picking up the rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.